Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

A heartfelt American thanks

Emotional U.S. consul, wife grateful for help after 9/11

  • Print

The U.S. Consul to Manitoba brought an authentic Independence Day picnic to Winnipeg yesterday to celebrate and remember on the first July 4 since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

Eugene Tadie and his wife, Virginia Canil, welcomed business and political leaders, friends and neighbours into their Tuxedo home and issued a heartfelt thanks for all Manitoba and Canada did for the U.S., and for them, after the airborne attacks on New York and Washington.

"Our two countries are very distinct from one another," Tadie said. "But there exists nonetheless an unbreakable bond due to a belief that liberty must be upheld."

Tadie asked for a minute of silence to remember the victims of Sept. 11 and the soldiers who have died to protect the U.S. and Canada.

While Canadians and others worldwide watched anxiously yesterday, Americans, amid tight security, seemed to shrug off FBI warnings about possible terrorist attacks as the United States celebrated its 226th birthday.

The holiday was marred by a shooting at Los Angeles International Airport in which three died, including the shooter.

At press time last night, the motive for the Los Angeles shooting remained unclear, authorities said, noting the gunman appeared to have acted alone.

As well, a small plane that ran into difficulty after takeoff crashed into a holiday crowd in San Dimas, Calif., killing three people and injuring several others.

Fighter jets patrolled the skies over New York, Washington and other major U.S. centres, and the FBI and local police were on high alert.

At the Winnipeg picnic, Canil was close to tears as she spoke of her experience on Sept. 11, just two weeks after she moved to Winnipeg. She was living temporarily in the Fairmont Hotel, watching the television alone in her hotel room, worrying about friends and family, including her daughter in Washington, D.C., afraid of what might come next.

Canil said the warmth and hospitality of Manitobans kept her going.

"I remember words of comfort, I remember crowds of people, I remember lots of tears," Canil said, fighting back her own. "You embraced us as a family, you shared our sorrow... This is how I will always remember you."

A U.S. honour guard from Grand Forks carried in the American flag and the U.S and Canadian national anthems were sung. But it was during America the Beautiful that tears streamed down Canil's face.

"We're celebrating freedom, we're celebrating democracy and the willingness of our nations to fight for it, and when necessary, give their lives to defend it," she said.

Premier Gary Doer said there should be a celebration of the close connections in trade and tourism the two countries share. But he also noted the partnership between the nations is always visible, pointing out that many families just a few blocks away from the party, in Kapyong Barracks, were waiting for their loved ones to come home from Afghanistan, where they are fighting in the war on terrorism.

Doer said Americans and Canadians should loudly celebrate that terrorism has not won and democracy has been defended.

"Today being the first July Fourth since Sept. 11, we should give even more thought and celebration to the United States and its contributions to defending democracy around the world."

The celebration was not all reflection, however.

More than 150 people, including Winnipeg police Chief Jack Ewatski and Peak of the Market owner Larry McIntosh, munched on hotdogs, hamburgers, baked beans and ice cream under tents wrapped in red, white and blue streamers. Even Tadie's English sheep dog got into the fun, sporting a U.S. flag kerchief around her neck.

A small but visible security force and a few Winnipeg police officers kept watch at the front gates, but the only unwanted guests were a July downpour and Manitoba's famous mosquitoes. Canil joked that they were welcome as well.

"We were glad to see the mosquitoes showed up this week," she said, promising coupons for calamine lotion as a party favour. "We were beginning to think the promise of really lousy winters and mosquitoes were just ploys to get us to move here."

In the United States, the military temporarily reactivated post-Sept. 11 combat jet patrols over Washington and New York. Other cities also got the overflights, although the Pentagon would not name them.

Fighter planes enforced no-fly zones around the Statue of Liberty and the George Washington Bridge, the carved presidential heads at Mount Rushmore in South Dakota and other structures and national monuments that were potential terrorist targets.

Two low-flying private planes that were in restricted air space over Marine Parkway Bridge near the Rockaways in New York were chased by F-16s and forced to land in New Jersey. The pilots were being questioned last night.

In New York, the Federal Aviation Administration announced temporary flight restrictions below 3,000 metres over virtually all of Manhattan.

The FBI said a group with terrorist ties had downloaded images of two U.S. stadiums -- Edward Jones Dome, home to the NFL's St. Louis Rams, and Indianapolis' RCA Dome -- from, which features pictures of stadiums worldwide. Both stadiums were closed for the holiday.

Visitors to Washington's monument-packed National Mall opened coolers and picnic baskets for inspection by police armed with hand-held metal detectors at 24 security checkpoints along a double line of snow fencing.

There were more than 2,000 police on duty, some from as far afield as New Jersey. They patrolled smaller parks along the Potomac River, where thousands planned to watch the fireworks.

The tiny borough of Shanksville, Pa., where the hijacked United Airlines Flight 93 crashed into the earth last Sept. 11, held the first Fourth of July parade in its 173-year history.

The new round-the-clock Homeland Security Co-ordination Center was monitoring nearly 2,100 medium and large Independence Day events across the country.

The command centre in Washington, with open lines to each of those celebrations, was staffed by special liaisons from the FBI, Secret Service, Federal Emergency Management Agency and Department of Health and Human Services.

President George W. Bush planned to host an invited crowd at the White House after spending the morning with veterans in the courthouse square of Ripley, W.Va.

-- With files from the news services

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 5, 2002 $sourceSection$sourcePage

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets this week with Tim and Gary in Anaheim

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press.  Local/Standup- Morning Fog. Horse prances in field by McPhillips Road, north of Winnipeg. 060605.
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.

View More Gallery Photos


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google