Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

10 safety charges laid in fatal mine accident

Vale Canada took corrective action

  • Print
The Vale mine, just outside of Thompson.


The Vale mine, just outside of Thompson.

VALE Canada Ltd. has been charged with 10 offences under the province's Workplace Safety and Health Act in a mining accident that killed a Thompson miner in 2011.

The charges, laid last month, include allegations that Vale did not provide a safe workplace, did not have safe work procedures and had unsafe equipment.

A provincial spokeswoman said that if convicted Vale would face fines up to $250,000 per count, or up to $2.5 million if convicted of all 10 charges. As well, the penalties could also include a jail term of up to six months.

Murray Nychyporuk, president of United Steelworkers Local 6166, said Friday it's the first time the mine has been charged in connection with the death of a worker.

"It's a strong message from the (province) to industry throughout Manitoba, not just Vale, that operations and companies need to provide safe working conditions," Nychyporuk said.

"Corrective actions did take place following the incident, but we had to lose a friend, a brother, a father and a son, all for corrective measures to be put in place."

Greg Leason, 51, a 23-year Vale employee, was working by himself on Oct. 7, 2011. He was operating a scoop tram, a large loader that scoops up rock, underground in the mine, when he and the machine fell several metres into an open area.

Leason, a father of two, was rushed to Thompson General Hospital, then sent by air ambulance to Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre, where he died 12 days later.

Nychyporuk estimated the open space Leason fell into was about nine metres wide and 30 metres long. The company has said the cavern was up to 45 metres deep.

Ryan Land, a spokesman for Vale's Manitoba operations, said the company can't comment about the charges because the matter is before the courts.

But Land said a joint investigation by the company and union into the accident came up with 21 recommendations to make working in the mine safer.

"Our thoughts are with Mr. Leason's family, friends and co-workers," he said.

"There's no greater way to honour his memory than to remain vigilant. We just want to ensure a tragedy like this is never repeated."

Nychyporuk said the union is continuing to review other jobs in the mine.

"We, as a union, look at what else we are doing that is unsafe," he said.

"We're looking to find other jobs to put safe work practices in place."

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 18, 2013 A6


Updated on Monday, November 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM CST: Adds possible penalties.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Vigil held in support of homeless homicide victims

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A Great Horned Owl that was caught up in some soccer nets in Shamrock Park in Southdale on November 16th was rehabilitated and returned to the the city park behind Shamrock School and released this afternoon. Sequence of the release. December 4, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google