Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 08/26/2013 4:24 PM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 08/26/2013 5:01 PM | Updates
Premier Greg Selinger rejected Conservative Opposition calls today that one of his ministers be dropped from cabinet for a comment he made about the "ignorance of do-good white people."
Deputy Premier and Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Minister Eric Robinson made the statement in an emailed response to a staff member who raised concerns that a burlesque show would be organized to raise funds for the Osborne House women’s shelter.
On Monday, Selinger noted that Robinson had already issued a statement Friday apologizing for his choice of words.
"He was concerned about burlesque being used as a fund-raising activity for a domestic violence shelter, but he also acknowledged that he could have made a better choice of his words and he apologized. And I accept that," Selinger said in facing the media for the first time since the remarks became widely known on Friday.
Although Selinger disciplined a government backbencher recently for a homophobic comment in the legislature, he said he will not mete out any punishment to Robinson.
The difference, he said, was that Robinson’s statement was made in a "private communication" to a staffer.
"It was never intended for public consumption nor was it intended to single out anybody in the community. So it’s quite was a different set of circumstances," Selinger said, adding that Robinson is a national leader in raising the issue of missing and murdered aboriginal women.
Robinson, also addressing the media for the first time since his controversial email became public, said he regretted attaching the word ‘white’ to a criticism about the choice of a fund-raising event organized by do-gooders.
"I’m regretful for a couple of things: the term ‘white’ for one thing, white do-gooders. I am also regretful that the event occurred," he said.
He also said that despite his initial defence of his comments, he was not forced to issue an apology on Friday. He said he simply decided to take the "high road" in the matter. "Nobody twisted my arm, nobody threw me to the ground. Nobody forced me to say anything. It was a statement that I wrote ... myself," he said.
Robinson also denied that his statement was racist. "I don’t think so. I’ve heard worse things said about me. And I still do," he said.
Robinson’s controversial comment came to light after the director of Osborne House, Barbara Judt, received a copy of the email in a freedom of information request.
Updated on Monday, August 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM CDT: Corrects typo.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Sanders takes aim at BIZ, Bowman
Bones found on riverbank not human, police confirm
Harper will not attend opening of CMHR
Tory MLAs challenge province on emergency Lake St. Martin channel
Owner of poisoned bees convinced it was "targeted attack"
Suspected drunk driver involved in crash facing charges
Dauphin hotel evacuated due to early morning fire
Documents a vital part of our history
Morden mosasaur world's largest
Plenty of good weather for golf, yard work ahead
Looking to the Red for answers, peace
Knife drawn after big crash
Vogiatzakis fighting for political life
If New York can do it, so can we: Bowman
Chamber rues lack of vision for city
Signless Steeves breaks with tradition
No payback for wrongful accusation
Human rights museum still a work in progress
Never-ending construction season
Province offers $100,000 to help fight Ebola, help victims' families
A great friend to Ukraine
Members rally to preserve centre
Fielding gets nod for provincial run
Trustee spills beans on bus drivers' raise