May 22, 2015


Local

Big upgrades to Grand Beach planned

The province will spend $4 million over the next few years to upgrade Grand Beach.

At the top of the list is a better wastewater treatment system and getting rid of a derelict hotel to make the beachfront more appealing to visitors, a plan St. Clements Mayor Steve Strang said would help the Lake Winnipeg community become the "Banff" of Manitoba.

Many people came to cool off at Grand Beach Wednesday afternoon as temperatures soared above 30 C.

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Many people came to cool off at Grand Beach Wednesday afternoon as temperatures soared above 30 C. Photo Store

It will also include construction of a lake-front picnic plaza where the hotel now stands—it will be demolished this fall—and the addition of a new playground. The playground will use natural features like cottonwood trees and boulders reclaimed from flood-hit St. Ambroise Provincial Park on Lake Manitoba.

"It’s a canvas waiting to be painted," Strang said today.

The upgrade plan was announced this morning by Conservation Minister Gord Mackintosh.

"We want to make sure we make strategic investments Manitobans can enjoy," Mackintosh said. "We want the best bang for our buck."

The new plaza will also reflect the historical connection to the railway which at one time ferried passengers to the beach and its dance pavilion before the Highway 59 and the automobile took over in the 1950s.

Mackintosh said the projects will be completed by 2020 and will also include the electrification of additional campsites.

He said there were more than 430,000 visits to Grand Beach Provincial Park last year, up 14 per cent over the last five years.

Strang said the improvements to the Grand Beach and Grand Marais over the next few years, plus other projects like a new medical centre, will attract even more visitors and permanent residents.

In turn, he said that will give the municipality more ammunition to ask the province to twin Highway 59 to Grand Beach. The project has been on the books for several years, but to proceed an agreement has to be reached with Brokenhead Ojibway Nation.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 7:52 am

Things got hot at Main Street bar wfp.to/R87

Jason Bell | @WFPJasonBell

May 22 7:45 am

City police say missing 16-year-old Faith Lecuyer has been safely located.

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 7:36 am

Babcock's $50-million deal has the coaches' gravy train ready to roll wfp.to/R8G

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 7:30 am

Picture-perfect weekend in store for southern Manitoba wfp.to/R8D

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 7:12 am

Stores let customers make booze on-site wfp.to/R8h

Scroll down to load more

Top