Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Brian Sinclair's family appeals lawsuit ruling

  • Print

The family of a man who died sitting in the emergency room at the Health Sciences Centre is appealing a court ruling declaring he can’t sue because he’s dead.

In a statement today, Brian Sinclair’s family and their lawyer, Vilko Zbogar, said the appeal will be heard on Wednesday.

The statement said the appeal is against the ruling of Court of Queen’s Bench Master Shayne Berthaudin, who last year dismissed the $1.6-million lawsuit in relation to the 45-year-old Sinclair’s death, saying they didn’t have a case because no one other than Sinclair himself could sue.

Sinclair, a double amputee, was found dead in his wheelchair in the hospital’s emergency waiting room on Sept. 21, 2008. After waiting there for 34 hours, he died of a treatable bladder infection caused by a blocked catheter.

A hospital security video showed Sinclair talking to an aide at the emergency room triage desk before he went into the waiting room.

History

Updated on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM CDT: corrects typo

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Trucks power through flooded underpass at Main St and Higgins

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A mother goose has chosen a rather busy spot to nest her eggs- in the parking lot of St Vital Centre on a boulevard. Countless cars buzz by and people have begun to bring it food.-Goose Challenge Day 06 - May 08, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What do you think of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s comment that Tina Fontaine’s slaying was a crime, and not part of a larger sociological problem?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google