Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 8/9/2014 (1019 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Five large paintings rescued from the Capitol Theatre could be put up for auction.
The downtown development committee endorsed a plan to see how the five paintings, held in storage since the demolition of the downtown theatre in 2002, could be given a wider public viewing.
The canvas paintings were originally hung from the ceiling niches of the former Donald Street theatre.
An administrative report states the paintings, pastoral images in oil, date from 1921. They are about 3 metres by 1 metre.
In addition to the paintings, the city also has two large decorative terra cotta panels salvaged from the old Crown Trust building at 364 Main St., which was demolished in 1973 for the construction of Winnipeg Square.
The panels had been on display on the boulevard at the HMCS Chippawa Naval Reserve unit at Navy Way and Smith Street, but were turned over to the city in 2010 and placed in storage.
❚ ❚ ❚
An expansion of the U of W’s pedestrian plaza was approved at city hall.
The downtown development committee Monday morning approved closing sections of Spence Street located north and south of the existing University of Winnipeg pedestrian plaza between Portage Avenue and Ellice Avenue.
City council approved the university’s pedestrian plaza concept in 2008, closing the middle section of the street and leasing the land to the U of W.
The U of W will also lease the additional closed sections.
The Winnipeg Parking Authority noted it would lose 12 parking spaces and two pay stations as a result of the pedestrian plaza expansion, with a loss of annual revenue estimated to be $36,000.