May 22, 2015


Local

Committee delays vote on transit corridor route

A city committee has delayed a vote on the proposed route for the second leg of Winnipeg's rapid-transit corridor amid concerns Fort Garry residents haven't had enough time to assess the potential impact on their neighbourhood.

Last Friday, the city released an administrative report recommending Winnipeg extend the second phase of the Southwest Transitway west through the Parker Lands, then southeast along a Manitoba Hydro corridor. The transit report said the proposed route will have less impact on traffic and will allow buses to travel faster, as there are fewer road crossings. It is also expected to attract more riders from future housing developments in the Parker Lands and adjacent areas and improve transit connections to Linden Woods and new commercial developments near Kenaston Boulevard and the Sterling Lyon Parkway.

HANDOUT

Some members of council said residents affected by the proposed corridor have not had enough time to review the 100-plus page report.

This morning, council's public works committee voted to lay over the matter until February.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:51 pm

“You’ll pay for what you have done. When you get to the other side you’ll have to answer for it," Lavana Gentray told son's killer.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“You caused us great suffering and sorrow. Every day I feel the loss of my precious son,” victim's mother, Lavana Gentray, told court.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“Mr. Mustard lives on. He will have sunrises and sunsets. Tony’s are gone,” said victim's uncle, Michael James.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Family members of the 50-year-old victim, Anthony Sorokowski, presented emotional impact statements Friday describing their loss.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Gerald Mustard, 43, was convicted earlier this month of manslaughter. He wants 3-4 years. Judge reserved decision to June 2.

Scroll down to load more

Top