Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/8/2012 (1368 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Elections Manitoba has ruled Darrell Ackman, who allegedly recruited girls for the sex trade, can run in the Fort Whyte provincial byelection, Ackman's lawyer said late Friday.
Manitoba’s Elections Commissioner Bill Bowles had said earlier Friday he instructed an investigator to pursue the complaint against Ackman as quickly as possible. Bowles and Elections Manitoba acting manager of elections operations Lisa Kingham said they could not by law comment on the specifics of the complaint.
But Winnipeg property manager Avrom Charach said Friday he filed the complaint Thursday after he found out through the media that his name was on Ackman’s nomination papers without his knowledge.
"I’d like them to quickly figure out whether or not putting my name on a piece of paper is appropriate, and if not, do what they should," Charach said earlier Friday. "My ultimate wish? Get this guy off the ballot."
However, Elections Manitoba ruled Ackman's candidacy could stand, because his nomination papers had 130 names, and only 100 are needed in order to run, said Martin Glazer, Ackman's lawyer.
Charach’s complaint was filed two days before advance polls open Saturday. Voting day is Sept. 4.
Ackman, 43, is on bail after being charged by Winnipeg police earlier this summer for allegedly recruiting girls to appear in porn videos and work in the sex trade.
Ackman has said he entered the race after getting 130 voters in Fort Whyte to sign his nomination papers so he could be a candidate.
Under the Elections Act, nothing prevents the Tuxedo resident from soliciting eligible voters or from having his name appear on the ballot.
The allegations against Ackman have not been proven in court.