Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Decision on Kildare extension delayed

  • Print

Councillors frustrated with a report carrying a $21-million price tag added to a council agenda at the last minute Wednesday sent the project back for further study.

The issue involved a long-term joint partnership between the City of Winnipeg and development company Genstar to develop a large parcel of vacant land in Transcona.

The project depends on Genstar building a westward extension of Kildare Avenue through the city’s former works yard in Transcona, which was the subject of the last-minute addition to council’s agenda.

But councillors said the report lacked details and many were concerned when public works chairman Justin Swandel said he didn’t understand it and wouldn’t remain in council to debate it.

The report was not included on city council’s agenda but it had been part of Monday’s public works committee agenda and is available online.

The report is an amendment to the joint-venture agreement. In compensation for building the extension of Kildare, city council was committing to repay Genstar about $21.5 million.

At Swandel’s request, council in the morning referred the report back to executive policy committee. But after lunch, Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) convinced council to reconsider and vote on it.

Swandel (St. Norbert) moved to refer it back to EPC, which was defeated, allowing debate on the amendment.

Swandel said the $21 million was excessive and he couldn’t support it without further study. He then left the council chamber.

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry) said she was surprised at the lack of details in the administrative report.

"When you get a report in front of you with a (dollar amount) this big, obviously you’re wondering what happened," Gerbasi said, adding it’s reasonable to take the time to understand the implications of the report.

"For a $21-million decision, we need something in writing," Gerbasi said.

Wyatt said the entire joint venture with Genstar was at stake if council didn’t approve the $21-million repayment plan.

Coun. John Orlikow (River Heights-Fort Garry) said councillors were frustrated this week trying to juggle budget reviews and deal with regular council work, adding he hadn’t read the report until it was presented at the meeting.

"I have to figure out in minutes," the intricacies of a $21-million deal, Orlikow said, adding he was resentful that Wyatt was forcing council to make a last-minute decision.

"We have a responsibility to look at the financial impact overall," Orlikow said.

Mayor Sam Katz said the Genstar deal was originally to have been brought to council in October but had been delayed and needed to be passed.

Despite Wyatt’s warning, a third vote to refer the Genstar agreement back to EPC was passed.

Katz later said the delay would allow councillors time to study the report and consider it at another council meeting.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Eddie the fat cat has dropped two pounds on diet

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY
  • A baby Red Panda in her area at the Zoo. International Red Panda Day is Saturday September 15th and the Assiniboine Park Zoo will be celebrating in a big way! The Zoo is home to three red pandas - Rufus, Rouge and their cub who was born on June 30 of this year. The female cub has yet to be named and the Assiniboine Park Zoo is asking the community to help. September 14, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you support a proposed ban on tanning beds for youth under 18?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google