Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 01/25/2013 10:37 AM | Comments: 0
Don’t be one of dozens of Manitobans who find their vehicles wrecked by fire due to broken block heater plugs or worn-out extension cords, says Manitoba Public Insurance. MPI said a "cracked extension cord, or block heater cord with a corroded plug" can spark a blaze.
"Each year in Manitoba about 1,000 vehicles are damaged by fire; several dozen are the direct result of damaged extension cords or worn blockheater/in-car heater plugs," said an MPI news release. "The majority of these fires take place in winter."
MPI says people should get new cords if theirs have wires showing, or they’re cracked.
"With personal safety in mind, people are advised not to plug in their vehicles within a garage or any other enclosed structure," said the release.
MPI advises people not to drive over cords, and to pull the electrical cord out by its hard end.
They also recommend that a qualified mechanic should look at a cord every fall.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Axworthy quits in frustration
Staring death in the eye
Owning a home a thrill for family
A police dog to remember
Park renamed for El Tassi
Fire chief touts home monitoring to cut ER waits
Bizarre bank robbery blamed on 'delirium'
Three dead in northern road crash
U of M head rips group's critique of faculty
Provinces ask for economic boost
Patrimoine et culture — Un rêve monumental
Cleaning up the culture of sport
Pick up Ottawa's dropped ball: Oswald
Your weekend weather
Lindor's words live on in new ebook
Gay Nigerian man fears persecution
Let's talk about sex ed
Trending that caught Doug's eye... Super bad ads
Slithering back in time
In the land of UNESCO sites
Hate, headlines and hope
Second life for Elmwood Cemetery
Random acts of kindness