A fire at the Elmwood Kildonans pool in May caused more than $1 million in damages and will keep the facility closed until the end of the year.
City staff told the protection and community services committee the fire occurred early in the morning of May 8, when the pool was closed, in an electrical control panel located in the pool’s basement.
While there was little fire damage, smoke from the smouldering panel was sucked into the exhaust system and distributed throughout the building.
Staff in the morning found the pool area filled with black smoke. There was a layer of black dust on all surfaces throughout the building.
Most of the clean-up work involved scrubbing down all surfaces. Some of the duct work and insulation had to be replaced.
The committee was told custom control panels for the electrical and the HVAC system need to be manufactured, adding that will likely keep the pool closed until mid-December.
Damage and subsequent clean-up efforts is estimated at $1.2 million. The city’s deductible on insurance claims is $250,000.