Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 07/31/2013 3:35 PM | Comments: 0
Parents of a toddler left brain-damaged after a STARS ambulance flight have filed a lawsuit against the STARS service and one of the doctors who treated the boy.
Morgan Moar-Campbell, 2, was flown from Brandon to Winnipeg aboard a STARS helicopter ambulance May 2 for tests following a seizure.
Doctors at the Brandon Regional Health Centre put Morgan into an induced coma, which meant he couldn't breathe on his own, requiring the insertion of a breathing tube. That tube was discovered pulled out after the helicopter landed in Winnipeg.
The child suffered irreparable brain damage. His parents were told their son was deprived of oxygen for 30 minutes and the only part of his brain still working is the brain stem, which regulates basic functions like breathing.
In a statement of claim filed Wednesday in the Court of Queen's Bench, the boy's parents, Emily Moar and Blair Campbell, say the tube's dislodgement went unnoticed by the ambulance service’s nurse, and their son was left unattended during part of the flight.
The allegations have not been proven in court. A statement of defence has yet to be filed.
Manitoba Health opened a critical-incident investigation into the case after the incident became public.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Two charged after taxi damaged, driver robbed
STARS to fly in emergencies
'Status quo' report incites outrage
This was no isolated incident
'Someone is being tortured'
A journey of many footsteps
An area rich in synagogues
Closing the gender gap in Manitoba
Polish family living in city desperate to stay here
Brilliant doctor, graceful humanist
Malala the main attraction
Confusion over water pipe wait
Many good things happening in city, despite woes: Katz
Toews gets his medal as a loyal Tory soldier