Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 03/22/2013 7:38 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 06/3/2013 9:56 PM | Updates
A man who was alone in a St. Cross Street home is in hospital being treated for smoke inhalation after a fire there early this morning.
Crews were called to the North End home, just around the corner from Luxton School, about 5:42 a.m. and found the man on his exterior steps and smoke billowing from the home.
The fire was under control by just after 7 a.m.
District Fire Chief Don Black said it appears the blaze was sparked in the basement furnace room.
"Our guys entered and it got very hot," he said. "We pulled them out and went from an offensive to a defensive attack. We did a little exterior work and then returned to do salvage overhaul."
He said it's still too early to determine a cause or damage estimate.
Updated on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM CDT: updates neighbourhood in which the home is located.
June 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM: Corrects typo.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Vince Li secures increased freedoms
Free Press, Brandon Sun photographers nominated for national awards
Province forecasting year-end deficit to grow by $37M to $394M
Flood risk normal or above normal in western Manitoba
Unregistered massage therapist to give Manitoba courses, regulator says
$35 million price tag for Parker lands retention pond project
Queen's portrait coming home
RCMP investigate gunfire in Selkirk
Man arrested after answering call on stolen cellphone
Two pedestrians injured in collision on Regent
Teamsters support Selinger
Strong support amid the grief
Store fire results in multiple job losses
Transcona water main break causing traffic delays
Freeman to stay free following conviction
Dad accused in girl's death out on bail
A bit of relief from the cold this weekend
Vice grip: Liquor & Lotteries HQ a daunting choice
Eating, feeling well: Teen seeks to change attitudes about health
Commission tackles issue of service dogs
Driver in stolen vehicle dies after pursuit
Added salt and sugar in kids' foods dangerous
More complaints on 311 reported
Roundtable hits home for chief
Are RRC governors... governing?
Property managers probed
Growing Older Feb. 27
Billboard feb. 27