Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/8/2014 (803 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The cause of a house fire in St. Vital that destroyed two two-storey homes Friday afternoon and threatened a third has been determined.
City officials say the blaze was caused by "the careless disposal of smoking materials." The homes at 52 and 54 Nichol Ave. sustained a combined $1.125 million in damages and city spokesperson Lisa Fraser said both homes were total losses. The third house that was in danger was not damaged, ultimately.
Barry Evans, platoon chief with the Winnipeg Fire Department, was on the scene as crews and 20 units fought the flames. The fire was originally reported around 1:19 p.m. Friday.
Evans said the two homes' attics burned and a third adjacent home would have been in danger if the fire had spread. The three homes were evacuated and there were no injuries.