Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Local $1-M lottery winner still absorbing the news
After arriving at the Delta Hotel via limo along with her husband, Isaac, Yvette Reimer turned to an official with the Western Canada Lottery Corp. and said, "I need a drink of water really badly."
And who could blame her? The resident of Grunthal had been going at a whirlwind pace since she became the province’s newest millionaire after she hit the jackpot in last Friday’s Lotto Max draw.
She had heard the "Whoo-hoo!" sound from the ticket-reading machine before, but all she ever won was a free ticket.
This time, though, the person at the till of the Oaklane Petro told her, "You won money. Big money."
Oaklane manager Greg Klassen was notified, and he returned to the store to check out the ticket.
He printed out the notice from the ticket-dispensing machine to be sure.
"They both counted six zeroes, but it didn’t click right away that she won a million," Klassen said.
She doesn’t remember the drive home, but when she got to her house, she was bawling. Her husband, Isaac, thought somebody had been in an accident or worse.
"I don’t think I can say what he said (when I told him)," she said with a laugh. "We were jumping around in the yard. It was a good time."
The couple plans to pay off their mortgage and some debts and then visit an investment professional to make sure they’re set for the rest of their lives.
They would also like to travel and they may even splurge for the odd treat.
"My dream car has always been a Charger. We’ve joked that if I get one (Isaac) would get a Harley. We’ve already had dealerships calling us," she said.
They don’t plan to move or change their lifestyles.
"(The win) will definitely make things easier. There might be room for a few fun things. It’s been great," she said.
Andrea Marantz, spokeswoman for Western Canada Lottery Corp., said this Friday’s Lotto Max draw will not only have the $50-million grand prize but 50 $1-million prizes, too. That’s tied for the biggest jackpot ever.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 21 articles for today)8:24 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Poached pickerel seized at The Forks
- Girl's death a homicide: RCMP
- Culture of secrecy allows repeated shameful tragedies
- Teen takes responsibility for killing fellow high school football player with surprise punch
- Bronze urn stolen from Winnipeg Buddhist temple
- Onerous bail practices rapped
- Threw fatal punch, Winnipeg teen admits
- Coming attraction: pop-up downtown drive-in theatre
- Man faces human trafficking charges
- Winnipeg to get direct flight to Mexican resort town Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo
- Mountie's answer to pain: suicide
- Winnipeg mayor lists Arizona home as a primary residence
- Motorcycle crash kills Pine Falls pair
- RCMP shoot, injure man during baseball game in Norway House
- Woman's death 'sadder than sad'
- Robbed by his own brother?
- Two years jail for grisly death
- Woman dies in farming accident
- Stolen custom-built bike found
- Woman in alleged dine-and-dash trio returns for purse, charged with fraud
- Mountie's answer to pain: suicide
- 24 Manitoba municipalities declare state of emergency
- Several Manitoba Safeway, IGA stores to shut doors
- Canada Day marred by two deaths in city
- Piercing at Ex prickly issue for city parents
- Polo Park getting major makeover
- Dad fights to keep $100,000
- Mom rips judge over remark
- Nygård under gun in Bahamas
- Failed bid for med school no basis for suit: judge
Ads by Google