Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/7/2012 (1663 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
An effort to squash secondary plans for the Corydon neighbourhood will not be reviewed further by city council.
Earlier this week, council’s property committee approved a surprise motion that called on the city to terminate work on secondary plans for the Corydon neighbourhood.
The motion was introduced by Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona), and came after the Corydon Avenue BIZ and several business owners sent a letter to Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge) and other city officials, calling the process a "stop-growth plan."
They asked the city to "terminate" the process and hire a third-party consultant to start work on new neighbourhood plans. Read more on the proposed plan.
Initially, city officials said the decision still needs to be approved by council’s executive policy committee and city council. Mayor Sam Katz said he wanted to review the decision.
Senior committee clerk Marc Pittet confirmed city lawyers found council’s property committee has the authority to start or stop conceptual planning.
That means the decision is final, unless the property committee rescinds its decision at a later date or a higher committee — such as EPC or council — approves a motion to continue work on the secondary plans.
"What has happened is a public process has been hijacked, in an undemocratic manner," Gerbasi said. "The community has had no voice in this. They’re up in arms at this point."
Gerbasi said a community meeting will be held on July 10 at River Osborne Community Centre at 6:30 p.m. to discuss what happened to the planning process.