Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Osborne apartment block evacuated after kitchen fire

  • Print

An apartment block on south Osborne Street at Morley Avenue was evacuated on Wednesday afternoon after a kitchen fire destroyed a third floor suite.

Residents of some 16 suites were unharmed, but were left scrambling to find temporary homes. 

Resident Freya Settee managed to grab her purse and cat quickly after the fire alarm was triggered around 4:30 p.m.

"I just thought it was a little kitchen fire," Settee said. "I didn't think it would end up burning the whole suite."

Several fire crews responded and closed down Osborne in the peak of rush hour. Platoon chief Ted Kuryluk said crews managed to contain the blaze to the roof area but that the cost of the damage is "totally unknown".

Osborne remained closed in the early evening. "Osborne will be shutdown for the duration (until the fire was extinguished)," Kuryluk said.

Witnesses said the fire started when a tenant left something on the stove unattended. Attempts by neighbouring residents to douse the fire were in vain, according to building caretaker Cyril Sinclair.

"They tried," he said, "but it was too much. The kitchen was already up."

Smoke and water damage was extensive. Residents were told not to enter the building for at least 24 hours.

"I hope it's still liveable and my stuff isn't ruined," Settee said, standing on the street. "Because I won't have anywhere to live....me or my cat."

History

Updated on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM CDT: Adds video

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Wasylycia-Leis wants to create aboriginal accord

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100527-Winnipeg Free Press THe Provencher Foot Bridge is lit up

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What should the legal drinking age be?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google