Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 05/8/2013 4:18 PM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 05/9/2013 10:52 AM | Updates
A woman injured in an apartment fire in the 400 block of Sargent Ave., on Wednesday has been upgraded to stable condition, police said today.
She suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out about 3:30 p.m. in a five-storey apartment building in the core area.
The fire in the apartment block at 475 Sargent Ave. near Balmoral Street was thought to have started in the kitchen of a suite, according to a source at the scene.
Firefighters on the scene used breathing apparatus to move throughout the building, checking suites for occupants as they contained the fire.
Fire officials have yet to confirm the cause of the fire.
A damage estimate has been pegged at $70,000 to the suite.
Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM CDT: write-thru with new info, adds photo
May 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM: Updated with victim's upgraded condition.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Peace Corps program VP to stop by News Café
U of M imposes restrictions, offers advice on Ebola virus
Free sneak peek advance tours of Human Rights Museum
Gord Steeves wants to give Winnipeg's police drones
Nepinak calls for memorial to Hall
Police intercept mailed gun and ammo
Tim Hortons the conquering hero this time
Bombers name four to hall of fame
Downtown gas leak closes streets, forces evacuation
Paula Havixbeck unveils plan to deal with frozen pipes
Man dies in vehicle rollover
Woman hurt in collision dies; man to be charged
Still some summer heat left
Mayoral wannabes spew clichés at forum
U of W researchers involved in projects getting $5 million in funding
Spy thriller leaves us unshaken, unstirred
Fans roar for Katy Perry
Judicial review useless for family
Camper missing for three days found on remote road
Tears, prayers, memories at fallen hero's wake
Firefighters, police have yet to fill dance cards
Eco label no cash cow for Waterhen fishers
Dad, stepmother accused of abusing kids
Tuesday campaign wrap
Honouring our HEROES
Museum rejects St. Germain
Inquiry on premiers' agenda
Men's mouth-watering love of shiny things explained
Province gearing up for winter tire program