December 9, 2013 Sections
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Winnipeg police have reopened The Forks after the bomb squad determined a 'suspicious package' wasn't a concern.
The bomb squad was called out and a public advisory went out to warn people to avoid the popular destination spot after a 911 caller reported an unattended suitcase.
It was handled as a suspicious package as a precaution.
In an age of terrorism, like the bombings at the Boston Marathon last month, that extra vigilance shouldn’t come as a surprise, police said.
"Unfortunately, when people see a suitcases or a backpack now and nobody claiming it, we think the worst. . . our thoughts go to Boston," said Const. Eric Hofley, a spokesman for the Winnipeg Police Service.
The 911 call came in about 10:30 a.m., the public warning was issued an hour later and by 1 p.m. The Forks was back to normal.
Updated on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM CDT:
Adds suspicious package an unattended suitcase. Police reopen area.