Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 6/8/2014 (722 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Andrew Baryluk, the man involved in a 17-hour standoff on Stella Avenue last week, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police revealed today.
In a news release, police said they found Baryluk and a gun in the home at 512 Stella Ave. around 3 a.m. on Thursday and confirmed he was dead.
Baryluk, 53, had barricaded himself inside his home the day before. Police said they received a call around 10:45 a.m. Wednesday about a distraught male in the house.
Police say they had made contact with Baryluk in the afternoon, but lost communication with him in the early evening. Shots were fired from the residence when tactical officers tried to deliver a communication device around 8:20 p.m. Officers fired back in response while retreating.
Police also say they never used any flash-bang device, despite reports in the media.
The Free Press previously reported that Baryluk had recently been ordered evicted following a legal dispute with relatives over his right to live there.
On July 10, Andrew Baryluk, 52, saw Manitoba's top court deny his appeal of a recent Residential Tenancies Board order granting possession of the home to another family member.
The house had been sold by relatives to a third-party but Baryluk maintained there had been an agreement he could live there indefinitely, according to court records.
After a full hearing in June, the RTB ordered him to vacate the house by no later than 11:59 p.m. on July 6, but that order was held in abeyance pending the outcome of his case in the Court of Appeal.
Note: Can't see the player above? Click here to open in a new window.