Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/8/2014 (1055 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
An underground electrical fire near Higgins Avenue and Main Street has caused a power outage for 1,400 customers in the area and evacuated the Bell Hotel.
Manitoba Hydro spokeswoman Andrea Gruber said Hydro crews, firemen and police closed off the intersection just before 4 p.m. when a manhole lid blew off the street. Steam rose from the ground where the lid blew off. Gruber said this was caused by burning power lines below ground. The cause of the underground fire is still unknown.
Power was restored around 8:30 p.m. Saturday night.
The Bell Hotel at, 662 Main St., was also evacuated as smoke began to enter the building. Police said there were toxic gases in the air, including carbon monoxide, so they evacuated the hotel residents on transit buses. They are being taken care of by Social Services, said Gruber.