Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Sex-assault convict's sentence upheld

  • Print

There will be no new trial — and no reduced sentence — for the former assistant manager of a Winnipeg group home convicted of sexually assaulting a female employee he was training.

Olayemi Fatunmbi was given three years in prison after being found guilty during a jury trial last year. He was acquitted of a second sexual assault involving another worker.

Fatunmbi was seeking to have his conviction overturned by the Manitoba Court of Appeal. In the alternative, he argued his punishment was "harsh and excessive" and should be reduced.

Both bids were rejected this week in a 37-page written decision.

During the trial, Fatunmbi testified he did nothing wrong. Both alleged victims told court they were separately attacked over a four-day span while working the night shift at the home for mentally and physically challenged adults.

Fatunmbi, who was their immediate supervisor on both nights, "began acting in ways that were anything but professional," Crown attorney Rustyn Ullrich told jurors.

"Things turned from disturbing, unprofessional and a nuisance... into criminal acts," he said.

In the first case, Fatunmbi attacked the woman inside an office by groping and fondling her and attempting to have intercourse. In the second alleged incident, of which Fatunmbi has been cleared, he was accused of attempting to force the woman to have sex with him.

The two women didn’t immediately go to police but learned of each other’s experience before going forward, jurors were told.

At the sentencing hearing, the Crown was seeking up to four years behind bars while the defence wanted a suspended sentence that would keep him free in the community. Defence lawyer Darren Sawchuk cited his client’s lack of criminal record and low risk to reoffend.

www.mikeoncrime.com

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press
  • A young gosling flaps his wings after taking a bath in the duck pond at St Vital Park Tuesday morning- - Day 21– June 12, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the city grant mosquito buffer zones for medical reasons only?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google