September 4, 2015


Local

Smoking causes fire at downtown Charter House hotel

Reader Ron Boss captured water being sprayed from a suite where a fire started at the Charter House hotel this morning.

Reader Ron Boss captured water being sprayed from a suite where a fire started at the Charter House hotel this morning.

Careless smoking is being blamed for a fire early this morning at the Best Western Charter House hotel on York Avenue downtown.

A fire department spokesman said there were no injuries in the blaze that broke out at about 5:20 a.m. in suite 403. It resulted in fire and water damage to all four floors of the hotel, the fire department spokesman reported. Damage is estimated at around $200,000. The hotel remains open for business.

History

Updated on Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM CDT: Picture added.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top