Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/10/2012 (1289 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Charges have been upgraded against the suspect in a Transcona stabbing last week after the victim in the case died.
Gerald Mustard, 40, is now facing charges of second-degree murder, police said Tuesday.
Police spokeswoman Patrol Sgt. Monica Stothers said the charges were upgraded after Anthony (Tony) Sorokowski, 50, died Monday afternoon after he was removed from life support.
"It was very hard," Sorokowski’s mother, Lavana Sorokowski, said Monday night. "He was brain dead and we waited for four days but nothing would work, unless Jesus had come in walking on water."
Sorokowski said her son’s throat was slashed in the attack and he had been deprived of oxygen too long for there to be any chance of reviving him. He had been on life support since the attack.
Mustard had been in custody since the Oct. 19 attack, when he was originally charged with aggravated assault.
Stothers said Sorokowski was hosting a small party in his home when he was attacked by a guest.
On Friday, police said the party, in a house in the 300 block of Regent Avenue East, had turned violent when the 50-year-old homeowner asked a guest to leave at about 6:55 a.m.
The guest refused, the two men began to fight, while a 23-year-old woman tried to break it up, police said.
The guest allegedly pulled a knife and stabbed the homeowner in the upper body.