Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 05/16/2014 2:36 PM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 05/16/2014 10:06 PM | Updates
Starbuck’s 110-year-old United Church has been completely destroyed by fire this afternoon.
The blaze began shortly after lunch, and fire crews from the RM of Macdonald and neighbouring municipalities responded.
Homes on either side of the church were also damaged, but fire crews were able to stop the flames from consuming them.
It’s believed someone was burning leaves and a small shed caught fire. The blaze then spread to the little white church, built in 1904 in the town about 45 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg.
Tim Broten, who owns TB Tire & Son directly across the street, said by 2:15 p.m. only the tall peak of the entranceway was still standing.
Total damage has been estimated at $650,000.
"It went pretty fast," he said. "It’s burned down to nothing. It’s really too bad."
Broten said no one was injured.
"They got everyone out from the houses. Some of the siding on the houses got melted but they saved them both," he said.
A history of the church states it is the second time the church has had a fire. On Jan. 27, 1929 a small fire was quickly extinguished. Back then, repairs only cost $45 for new floor boards, paint, cleaning and refilling the fire extinguishers.
Updated on Friday, May 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM CDT: Updates estimated damage
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
LIVE: Election night in Winnipeg
Voter turnout reaches record high
Candlelight vigil being held for babies tonight at 6 p.m.
Family, friends, colleagues bid farewell to Lindor Reynolds
Security at Manitoba Legislature tightened after Ottawa shooting
St. Malo man dies after collision
Woman arrested after 6 dead infants found in storage locker
Warm weather, possibly rain, on election day
Man pleads guilty to home invasion where kids sprayed
Tough to keep watch on storage lockers: firms
Winnipeg decides: polls now open
Party sparked tension
Infanticide different than murder: author
MPI says it needs hike to prevent rate shock
Police ID body found in river
It's much scarier than Halloween
Dead newborns found in locker
Teen missing in East Elmwood found safe
Female trustees may outnumber men across province
Activists hope to boost voting in North End