Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 31/10/2013 (1086 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
An outpouring of public outrage has led to the arrest of a man wanted for an attack on a Winnipeg transit driver.
Police said today that a surveillance video of the Sept. 14 incident, released earlier this week, had been seen more than 40,000 times on YouTube. And at least one of those viewers led to the identification of the accused.
Officers arrested the 23-year-old suspect this morning in the 200 block of Selkirk Avenue. He was still being processed and his name has not yet been released.
"The Winnipeg Police Service would like to thank the public and members of the media for their assistance in this matter," police said in a statement.
Police previously said the attack happened around 12:30 p.m. when a man got on the bus at William Avenue and Isabel Street, demanded a transfer but refused to pay the fare. He then assaulted the 50-year-old bus driver, causing non-life threatening injuries.
Police say the assault lasted a few minutes until two males got on the bus and tried to help. One of the good Samaritans was also injured.
The suspect left the bus but remained at large for the past six weeks. He was described as aboriginal in appearance, about 25 years old, six-feet tall with a slim build and short dark hair.