Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Text sent shortly before fatal crash, court told

  • Print
Emergency personnel had to cut the roof and a door off Mark Derry's car after it was hit on Dugald Road. Derry died as a result of the collision.


Emergency personnel had to cut the roof and a door off Mark Derry's car after it was hit on Dugald Road. Derry died as a result of the collision.

Lawyers defending a young Winnipeg man accused of being drunk and texting at the wheel and then crashing and killing a fellow motorist have begun laying legal groundwork in their bid to see blood evidence in the case thrown out of court.

Vann Hansell, 22, is accused of criminal negligence and impaired driving causing the death of Mark Derry, 53, in an evening crash on Dugald Road on Sept. 6, 2011. He has pleaded not guilty and is presumed innocent.

Defence lawyers Katherine Smith and Sheldon Pinx are challenging the chain of custody of three vials of Hansell's blood taken while he was being checked out at the Health Sciences Centre after the crash.

Court heard today Hansell readily agreed to be tested by police with an alcohol screening device and blew a "warn."

That indicated to investigators there was some alcohol in his body, in the grey area between 0.05 and 0.08 blood-alcohol content.

That test wasn't enough to satisfy police there were reasonable and probable grounds to arrest Hansell for impaired driving-related offences at that time, Patrol Sgt. August Marin testified.

Police then obtained a warrant for Hansell's blood, which is not being challenged.

Pinx began questioning police officers today about their handling of the blood vials and how they ultimately made their way to the RCMP for testing.

Hansell turned himself in to be rearrested on impaired-related charges on Oct. 12, 2011.

Witnesses from the hospital, additional officers and others will testify about the blood's chain of custody Thursday.

In other trial developments, court heard today a text message was sent from Hansell's iPhone at 7:55 p.m. on the day of the crash.

According to the police technician who examined the device, the text stated: "West Hawk must have been nice."

Six texts were sent from the same phone between 7:39 p.m. and 7:55 p.m., Const. Robert Cole said.

Witnesses have put the time of the crash at around 8 p.m.

Court has already heard from several witnesses that Hansell admitted to texting on his phone right after the collision.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


City updates boil-water advisory - 7:30 a.m. Wednesday

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local- A large osprey lands in it's nest in a hydro pole on Hyw 59  near the Hillside Beach turnoff turn off. Osprey a large narrow winged hawk which can have a wingspan of over 54 inches are making a incredible recovery since pesticide use of the 1950's and  1960's- For the last two decades these fish hawks have been reappearing in the Lake Winnipeg area- Aug 03, 2005
  • STDUP ‚Äì Beautiful West End  begins it's summer of bloom with boulevard s, front yards  and even back lane gardens ,  coming alive with flowers , daisies and poppies  dress up a backyard lane on Camden St near Wolseley Ave  KEN GIGLIOTTI  / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS  /  June 26 2012

View More Gallery Photos


Who are you rooting for in the Super Bowl?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google