The Selinger government said Friday it is on track to reduce government-appointed agencies, boards and commissions by 20 per cent.
Finance Minister Stan Struthers said in a statement these affected agencies, boards and commissions (ABCs) will either be amalgamated or dissolved
There are 114 government-appointed ABCs and 23 have been identified for amalgamation or dissolution.
The targeted ABCs will be either moved into government or aligned with functions of other ABCs. In other cases, provincial involvement was no longer deemed necessary, Struthers said. Plus, nine ABCs with external and provincial appointments and three internal ABCs have been identified for amalgamation or dissolution.
The move to reduce these boards was announced in last spring’s budget as a way to reduce administrative costs and to help slay the provincial deficit.
The government has already reduced the number of regional health authorities in Manitoba to five from 11 and is in the process of merging the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission with the Manitoba Lotteries Corp. That province estimates that merger will save an estimated $3 million annually.
The ABCs to be amalgamated are:
• Manitoba Liquor Control Commission Licensing Board and the Manitoba Gaming Control Commission
• The Motor Transport Board and the Highway Traffic Board
• The Agriculture Services corporation Appeal Tribunal and the Agricultural Crown Lands Appeal Board
• The Farm Mediation Board, the Farm Mediation Board Peer Advisory Committee, the Farm Machinery and Equipment Board, the Farm Practices Protection Board and the Farm Lands Ownership Board.
• The Agricultural Producers Organization Certification Agency and the Farm Products Marketing Council
• The Crown Lands Act Stakeholders Committee and the Land Value Appraisal Commission
• The Manitoba Immigration council and the Manitoba Ethnocultural Advisory and Advocacy Council
• The Heritage Council and the Heritage Grants Advisory Council.
Functions moving into government or board:
• The Lake Manitoba Stewardship Board (completed)
• The Active Transportation Advisory Board (completed)
• The Advisory Council on Fitness and Amateur Sport
• The Medical Review Committee
Eliminating requirement for provincial appointments:
• Taking Charge!
ABCs with external and government appointments:
• The Manitoba Games Council with Sport Manitoba (completed)
• The Board of Electrical Examiners, the Power Engineers Advisory Board, the Elevator Board, and the Gas and Oil Advisory Board
Remove provincial appointment
• The Association of Architects
• The Association of Home Economists
• The Professional Interior Designers
• The Veterinary Medical Association Peer Review Committee
• The Saskram/Summerberry Wildlife Management Area Advisory Committee
• The Manitoba Development Corporation, the Manitoba Trade and Investment Corporation, and the Economic Innovation and Technology Council
Functions moving into government
• The Manitoba Association of Agricultural Societies Advisory Board (completed)