Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Tory leader calls on premier to 'come clean'

  • Print

Premier Greg Selinger should state specifically when he learned that former immigration and multiculturalism minister Christine Melnick lied about her role in inviting immigrants and immigration groups to attend a contentious legislative debate last year, Opposition Leader Brian Pallister said Wednesday.

Pallister also called upon Selinger to boot Melnick (Riel) out of the NDP caucus for misleading MLAs over the April 2012 invitation.

Melnick had contended her assistant deputy minister, Ben Rempel, acted on his own initiative in issuing the invite. She later admitted to the provincial Ombudsman’s office that she directed Rempel to do it. The admission was only revealed when the Ombudsman released a report into the civil servant’s conduct last week.

Pallister said knowing when Selinger knew of the lie is important because the premier, wittingly or unwittingly, repeated the falsehood that Rempel had acted on his own.

Selinger told the Free Press on Tuesday that he was only informed of the lie by his own officials after the Ombudsman’s office had begun its investigation. He said the falsehood was part of the reason he dumped Melnick from cabinet in October.

But Pallister said Wednesday he does not buy the premier’s explanation, saying he must have known the truth "almost immediately."

The Conservative leader said Selinger must have wondered why a civil servant would agree to perform a partisan political act, and he should have asked the clerk of the executive council, the province’s chief bureaucrat, about it.

"If he did not ask his clerk of the executive council about this issue that speaks volumes about his willingness to accept partisan behaviour on the part of a senior bureaucrat," Pallister said.

The Tory leader said he failed to understand how Selinger could have sat on the fact that he knew about the minister’s falsehood for many months without taking action. The premier’s stated reason that he was awaiting the Ombudsman’s report defies belief, he said.

"Let’s stop the cover up. Let’s stop the obfuscation. Let’s get the premier to just come clean," the Tory leader said.

Pallister said a legislative committee should be struck to look into the affair.

The ombudsman launched its probe after a member of the public filed a complaint that Rempel had "crossed the line" of impartiality expected of civil servants. The report found the civil servant did not breach the Civil Service Act or the Manitoba Civil Service Commission Values and Ethics Guide. But it said the debate over the bureaucrat’s action left little doubt that "this matter brought the question of civil service neutrality to the forefront."

An official with the provincial Ombudsman’s office said Wednesday that it did not begin its investigation into Rempel’s actions until "mid-summer" of 2012.

 larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

 

 

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE APORIUS/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS BUSINESS - cow on farm owned by cattle farmer Lloyd Buchanan near Argyle Wednesday afternoon -see Larry Kusch's story  January 04/2006
  • Bright sunflowers lift their heads toward the south east skies in a  large sunflower field on Hwy 206 and #1 Thursday Standup photo. July 31,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google