Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 09/19/2013 2:00 PM | Comments: 0
Dozens of dead grackles found on King Street in August were poisoned.
A provincial spokeswoman said this afternoon that toxicology results found evidence of the chemical anticholinesterase, commonly used in materials for controlling pests by affecting the nervous system.
The birds were found in early August outside the Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata community centre on King Street, while about 20 more were found on the roof of the buildings, some dead and others twitching.
The province said there have been no other reports of unusual bird deaths.
While there are laws prohibiting the poisoning of domestic birds and some wild species, there is no legal protection for grackles.
The provincial spokewoman said grackles are not considered migratory birds and, as a result, are not protected under Manitoba’s Wildlife Act.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Killer preying on the homeless
Winnipeg weather forecast looks mighty good
Hitting the streets to warn others about a predator
Brandon hit-and-run victim critical; police seek public's help
Richmond students shine at science fair
Relief for families of Manitoba travellers
Precious little time for beer's brilliance
Ashton a shoo-in for shuffled cabinet, but rebels' fate in question
NDP infighting ample fuel for political-satire show
Execution-style hit source of pride: Crown
Little shop of favours giving back to HSC
Local charities under scrutiny for their political activities