Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 06/25/2013 3:42 PM
A man charged in the homicides of two Winnipeg gang members has lost his bid to throw the case out of court.
Kenneth Roulette’s lawyer, Greg Brodsky, filed a motion earlier this year seeking the two counts of first-degree murder dismissed.
Queen’s Bench Justice Robert Dewar reserved his decision after hearing recent arguments but returned to court Tuesday to say the case against Roulette would proceed.
A court-ordered ban prevents specific details of the application, including all evidence presented at a hearing, from being published.
A jury trial is now set to begin in September.
The bodies of Dennis Ray Baptiste, 23, and Jesse Edward Henderson, 23, were found in a Maryland Street building in 2009.
Roulette, 28, was arrested in Calgary in 2010 on an unrelated matter and subsequently charged with the Maryland Street killings. Winnipeg police said all three men had gang ties.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
'Nothing credible' about threat to nurses
What's open, what's closed over Easter weekend
War chests and troops on the ground: Political donations in Manitoba
Good people a great production
The art of analytics: NHL teams crunching numbers like never before
Asper Foundation program teaching rights, service
Murder charge in slaying
May the force be with you
Measles hot spots on the rise
Inmates says justice denied after parole review ruling
It's not a good month for distracted drivers
Métis ruling's Bipole impact cited
Teen killed abusive father