Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Elderly couple killed in head-on collision on Highway 44
The two people killed in Tuesday night’s head-on collision east of Garson on Highway 44 were a local elderly couple, RCMP reported today.
The names of the couple aren’t being released. The man, behind the wheel, was 88. His wife, in the passenger seat beside him, was 85. Both were from the RM of St. Clements.
The couple was going in the wrong direction down the twinned highway when their vehicle slammed into a oncoming pick-up truck. They were going west in the eastbound lane, RCMP said.
RCMP ruled out alcohol as a factor in the crash but can’t say why it happened the way it did. The couple was declared dead at the scene.
"Early indications are that the car was travelling in the wrong lane for a few miles before the collision occurred," Sgt. Line Karpish said in an RCMP release.
The driver of the pick-up truck, 29, from Tyndall, was airlifted to hospital in Winnipeg with undetermined injuries. Police said this morning they had no updates on his condition.
Updated on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM CST: Updates with ages of deceased.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)12/24/2014 1:41 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Break-in on top of her grieving
- RCMP charge more than dozen impaired drivers
- No charges laid in fatal collision
- For some First Nations people, like Tina Fontaine’s family, grieving is part of the yuletide season
- Other alleged victims for therapist charged with assault
- Man, 45, missing since Monday
- Chance of snow today, Thursday
- Guests welcomed with open arms at Christmas Feast in the West End
- Santa, sleigh on course: NORAD
- RCMP officer faces drug and weapons charges
- MTS says services have been restored
- Winnipeg trucker dies in semi-truck collision
- New Transcona Boulevard offically opens today
- Nepinak wants Kelvin teacher fired
- Remains may be decade old
- Oswald officially enters NDP leadership race; promises an "alternative vision"
- Infant remains in locker may be decade old: Brodsky
- Criminal probe into HQ project
- Police seek driver after pickup truck hits pedestrian
- No charges laid against man who killed teen mugger
- Slain man leaves behind nine children
- 'Bannock Lady' faces $3,000 in tickets; vehicle seized
- Trucking firm in mourning after driver killed in crash
- Teacher pulled from classroom
- 'Fun party for two' ends in tragedy
- Photos released of suspects in coat heist
- RCMP investigate allegations of doctored invoices, improper payment
- Semi driver dies in collision at Lagimodiere, Dugald
- Twelve arrested, including former city council candidate; weapons and drugs
- Keep car windows clear or face fine: police
Ads by Google