Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 11/16/2012 12:43 PM | Comments: 0
Two Winnipeg men have been found guilty of first-degree murder for a double killing inside a crowded house party.
The pair, who were 16 and 17 at the time of the December 2009 ambush in Elmwood, had been seeking convictions to lesser charges such as second-degree murder or manslaughter. But Queen’s Bench Justice Perry Schulman ruled Friday the Crown had proven the attacks were cold-blooded.
The Crown now plans to seek an adult sentence against the pair, which would be life in prison with no chance of parole for at least seven years. As youths, the maximum penalty they could be given is six years custody and four years of community supervision.
Tyler Hawula and Matthew Reynolds, both 18, were fatally injured in the attack. A third victim, Kyle St. Germaine, suffered serious injuries.
Crown attorney Lisa Carson argued during trial earlier this fall that there was plenty of evidence to suggest there was the type of planning or pre-meditation needed to prove the charge.
"There was no hesitation, no confrontation, no pausing. (One of the accused) runs into the house as fast as he can, executes the plan and runs out of the house," Carson said in her closing argument.
"There was ample opportunity in terms of discussion of a plan. We know what was in mind was retaliation. We know they were going back to get even. They were going back to exact revenge, taking a loaded shotgun into a home filled with unarmed people."
A key Crown witness told court the shootings were "spontaneous." Cody Delorme admits being with the two accused at the time of the deadly attacks. He pleaded guilty previously to reduced charges of manslaughter and was sentenced to 11 years in prison.
"It went to hell in a second," Delorme told court. He went with the two accused and another teen to the home, believing they were going to possibly beat up someone, or maybe steal their alcohol and drugs, to "get even" for an earlier slight. He claims there was never a discussion about shooting the place up, even though one of the accused had grabbed a firearm before they got into a cab to go to the Martin Avenue residence.
"It was like, OK, we're going to go there. But what are we going to do when we get there?" Delorme testified. "(The two accused) felt they'd been wronged. But it wasn't really much of any plan or thought process."
The incident began after Hawula and a small group of friends planned to host a party at his home on Martin Avenue West and advertised the event using Facebook. But the invitation spread through the social-networking website, resulting in several unknown people showing up.
That included the two accused and several of their gang-connected friends. Later, Hawula, Reynolds and another man kicked the 17-year-old out because he was getting into arguments with other guests and frightening people by flashing weapons, court was told.
The youth left -- his friends, including the 16-year-old, had previously departed -- and that's when, the Crown alleged, a plot was hatched to return to the home and seek revenge.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
STARS to fly in emergencies
'Status quo' report incites outrage
This was no isolated incident
'Someone is being tortured'
Closing the gender gap in Manitoba
Polish family living in city desperate to stay here
Brilliant doctor, graceful humanist
Malala the main attraction
Confusion over water pipe wait
Many good things happening in city, despite woes: Katz
Toews gets his medal as a loyal Tory soldier
Winnipegger shared steaks, jokes with Putin
A sad state of affairs
B.C. truckers free of cocaine charges