Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Two suspicious fires force evacuations on Victor Street
Two suspicious fires struck three homes on the west side of Victor Street and an apartment building on the east side early this morning.
Police Const. Eric Hofley said there do not appear to be any serious injuries. The estimated damage is $400,000 to the three houses and $30,000 to the apartment building.
Investigators are treating the fires as suspicious, he said.
"It started as a garage fire and spread," Hofley said.
The garage fire spread to the house in the 700 block of Victor around 4:30 a.m., and then to the house on either side. Within minutes came reports of a fire behind a nearby apartment building.
Residents were evacuated at the time of the fire, and allowed to return mid-morning.
Victor Street and Wellington Avenue were reopened around 11:30 a.m.
Police warn the streets are extremely icy, and motorists should use caution in the area.
Updated on Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM CST: adds photo
11:58 AM: update with streets reopened, information from police
1:46 PM: updates with estimated damage
5:01 PM: adds photo, updates with evacuation info
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)12/24/2014 1:41 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Break-in on top of her grieving
- No charges laid in fatal collision
- RCMP charge more than dozen impaired drivers
- For some First Nations people, like Tina Fontaine’s family, grieving is part of the yuletide season
- Other alleged victims for therapist charged with assault
- Man, 45, missing since Monday
- Chance of snow today, Thursday
- RCMP officer faces drug and weapons charges
- Guests welcomed with open arms at Christmas Feast in the West End
- Santa, sleigh on course: NORAD
- MTS says services have been restored
- Winnipeg trucker dies in semi-truck collision
- New Transcona Boulevard offically opens today
- Nepinak wants Kelvin teacher fired
- Remains may be decade old
- Oswald officially enters NDP leadership race; promises an "alternative vision"
- Infant remains in locker may be decade old: Brodsky
- Criminal probe into HQ project
- Police seek driver after pickup truck hits pedestrian
- No charges laid against man who killed teen mugger
- Slain man leaves behind nine children
- 'Bannock Lady' faces $3,000 in tickets; vehicle seized
- Trucking firm in mourning after driver killed in crash
- Teacher pulled from classroom
- 'Fun party for two' ends in tragedy
- Photos released of suspects in coat heist
- RCMP investigate allegations of doctored invoices, improper payment
- Semi driver dies in collision at Lagimodiere, Dugald
- Twelve arrested, including former city council candidate; weapons and drugs
- Keep car windows clear or face fine: police
Ads by Google