Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Weather forces school closures
Keep that shovel handy. More snow is on the way for Winnipeg and the surrounding region, and conditions have already resulted in school closures and bus service cancellations in a number of school divisions.
Environment Canada is calling for another five centimetres today, with most of falling this morning. Periods of heavy snow are expected, with a 60 per cent chance of light snow falling this afternoon. The high is -4 C.
All schools in Hanover School Division are closed to students and staff today, due to extreme weather and poor winter driving conditions. Teachers are reassigned to work at home for the day.
In Lord Selkirk School Division, buses are not running, schools are closed and employees are not required to report to work.
All schools in Border Land School Division, Lakeshore School Division, and Seine River School Division are closed.
All bus service outside the Perimeter Highway is cancelled today in the Louis Riel School Division.
Winnipeg saw approximately 7 centimetres fall Wednesday afternoon into the evening.
Those travelling on the highways in and around Winnipeg should give themselves a few more minutes today. Most roads are snow packed in long stretches and visibility is reduced in open spots, so be careful if you need to head out.
More of the white stuff, approximately 2-4 centimetres, is expected tonight. The low will be -14 C.
Things should start to clear up Friday morning, making way for sunny skies and a high of -10 C. A north wind 30 km/h will bring a wind chill in the -25 range.
A similar forecast is in store for us Saturday before things start to warm up for Sunday and Monday. The daytime high for both days is around the freezing mark.
Updated on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM CST: adds closures in Lakeshore School Division and bus cancellations in Louis Riel School Division
7:04 AM: Updates with school closures in Seine River School Division
7:08 AM: Updates with current weather conditions and forecast
8:03 AM: adds photo
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 20 articles for today)8:24 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Poached pickerel seized at The Forks
- Girl's death a homicide: RCMP
- Culture of secrecy allows repeated shameful tragedies
- Teen takes responsibility for killing fellow high school football player with surprise punch
- Bronze urn stolen from Winnipeg Buddhist temple
- Onerous bail practices rapped
- Threw fatal punch, Winnipeg teen admits
- Coming attraction: pop-up downtown drive-in theatre
- Man faces human trafficking charges
- Winnipeg to get direct flight to Mexican resort town Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo
- Mountie's answer to pain: suicide
- Winnipeg mayor lists Arizona home as a primary residence
- Motorcycle crash kills Pine Falls pair
- RCMP shoot, injure man during baseball game in Norway House
- Woman's death 'sadder than sad'
- Robbed by his own brother?
- Two years jail for grisly death
- Woman dies in farming accident
- Stolen custom-built bike found
- Woman in alleged dine-and-dash trio returns for purse, charged with fraud
- Mountie's answer to pain: suicide
- 24 Manitoba municipalities declare state of emergency
- Several Manitoba Safeway, IGA stores to shut doors
- Canada Day marred by two deaths in city
- Piercing at Ex prickly issue for city parents
- Polo Park getting major makeover
- Dad fights to keep $100,000
- Mom rips judge over remark
- Nygård under gun in Bahamas
- Failed bid for med school no basis for suit: judge
Ads by Google