Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

A disconcerting case of bad memory loss

  • Print

Maybe the dog ate Delores Chief-Abigosis's notes.

That's as likely as the explanation given by the former social worker for her apparently laissez-faire approach toward Samantha Kematch and Steve Sinclair's CFS file. Chief-Abigosis spent a second day on the stand at the Phoenix Sinclair inquiry insisting she may have visited the family home more often than the records show. She is hampered by an apparent inability to recall much about the tragic case, but said repeatedly those visits were possible.

It's also possible I won a Pulitzer Prize and forgot to tell anyone, and about as likely. She was trained to take those notes and that was her practice.

Chief-Abigosis had the file from November 2001 to August 2002. Records show that from Feb. 9, 2001 to July 4, 2001, no one from CFS had direct contact with the family. No one saw Phoenix or Echo, the baby who came after her.

Chief-Abigosis didn't know Kematch was pregnant with Echo and didn't visit her in the hospital. She had a large caseload, of course, and testified she was very busy working full time, going to university full time and commuting to Winnipeg from the Brokenhead reserve.

Inexplicably, not a single lawyer asked her how it was possible to attend university full time and work full time as a social worker.

Her time on the stand was a volley of lawyers' questions and flat non-answers. Jeff Gindin, lawyer for Steve Sinclair and Kim Edwards, showed her a lengthy list of people who knew the couple and allegedly supported their parenting efforts. He used Nikki Taylor, then an employee of the Boys and Girls Club, as an example. Do you remember phoning Taylor, Gindin asked. I don't recall, came the inevitable answer.

Gindin persisted.

There's no evidence you checked out Kim Edwards, the woman who took care of Phoenix for much of the time Chief-Abigosis held the file. What did you do?

"I can only present what is in my notes," she said, still insisting it was possible she'd done more.

"So you either lost the notes, didn't make notes of important things or didn't do them," Gindin said.

Chief-Abigosis said it was culturally common for a child to have multiple caregivers. That may be, but surely CFS should be checking them out. On June 29, 2001, the CFS crisis response team got a call that Sinclair was drinking. Phoenix was supposed to be with Sinclair's family or her godmother, Kim Edwards. No one checked to make sure she was OK.

On July 6, Chief-Abigosis went to the home herself and saw Sinclair caring for baby Echo, but Phoenix wasn't there. He said friends were looking after her. She didn't check that out. Echo died July 15. The social worker attended the funeral.

Gindin confirmed Chief-Abigosis spoke to Samantha after the newborn's death.

"That's what my notes say," she responded.

"After you found out about Echo's death, that's when you heard from Samantha?"

"That's what my notes say."

"She thought Steve was in some way responsible for the death?"

"That's what the notes say."

Chief-Abigosis is not the first CFS employee to suffer memory loss. We've heard repeatedly that 12 years have passed, there was nothing extraordinary about this family and caseloads were very high. All true. But other people, including Chief-Abigosis's supervisor, were able to review the case notes and shed significant light on the case.

Listening to Chief-Abigosis testify, I thought about the social worker involved with Samantha Kematch when she was in her teens. She saved the woman's firstborn by making him a permanent CFS ward, two years before Phoenix was born. She had a very heavy caseload at the time.

When we spoke Saturday, she vividly recalled her contact with Kematch and her conviction that she never be allowed to parent. She visited the hospital when the baby was born. When she talked about the newborn, she smiled. She remembered his little round head, she said, and what a sweet baby he was. She remembered.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 28, 2012 A4

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


I Dream of Diesel at Rachel Brown Theatre scene preview

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JJOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-Postcard  Day-Horror frost and fog created a most beautiful setting at Assiniboine Park Thursday morning in WInnipeg- Enviroent Canada says the fog will lifet this morning and will see a high of -7C-  JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- Feb 18, 2010
  • Bright sunflowers lift their heads toward the south east skies in a  large sunflower field on Hwy 206 and #1 Thursday Standup photo. July 31,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

About Lindor Reynolds

National Newspaper Award winner Lindor Reynolds began work at the Free Press as a 17-year-old proofreader. It was a rough introduction to the news business.

Many years later, armed with a university education and a portfolio of published work, she was hired as a Free Press columnist. During her 20-plus years on the job she wrote for every section in the paper, with the exception of Business -- though she joked she'd get around to them some day.

Sadly, that day will never come. Lindor died in October 2014 after a 15-month battle with brain cancer.

Lindor received considerable recognition for her writing. Her awards include the Will Rogers Humanitarian Award, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists’ general interest award and the North American Travel Journalists Association top prize.

Her work on Internet luring led to an amendment to the Criminal Code of Canada and her coverage of the child welfare system prompted a change to Manitoba Child and Family Services Act to make the safety of children paramount.

She earned three citations of merit for the Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service in Journalism and was awarded a Distinguished Alumni commendation from the University of Winnipeg. Lindor was also named a YMCA/YWCA  Woman of Distinction.

Reynolds was 56. She is survived by a husband, mother, a daughter and son-in-law and three stepdaughters.

The Free Press has published an ebook celebrating the best of Lindor's work. It's available in the Winnipeg Free Press Store; all proceeds will be donated through our Miracle on Mountain charity to the Christmas Cheer Board.


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google