Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Accused killer repeatedly hit victim, court told

  • Print

A man who pleaded guilty for his role in Solomon Turner's death two years ago told a court Wednesday that Turner was alive when he left him.

Lloyd Lindsay said he pushed Turner into the basement of the rooming house they shared but Turner was alive, and with Wanda Bruce, when he left.

Lindsay was testifying on the second day of Bruce's trial. Bruce is charged with second-degree murder in Turner's death.

Turner, 46, was found by police in the basement of an Austin Street North rooming house on the night of May 10, 2011. He bled to death after being stabbed in the back of his thigh. The murder weapon was never found.

Lindsay, 50, was charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty May 17, 2012 in provincial court to manslaughter and was given an eight-year sentence.

Lindsay said he and Bruce and some of the other rooming house tenants had been drinking the afternoon of May 10, 2011, when Turner -- another rooming house tenant -- got involved in a fight with Bruce. Lindsay said he intervened to help Bruce and all three of them ended up exchanging slaps and punches and falling to the floor.

Lindsay said he repeatedly struck Turner with a wooden stick, then pushed him into the basement of the rooming house where he knocked him down again and then wrapped a heavy chain around his neck and dragged him across the floor.

Lindsay said he left Turner on the basement floor, with Bruce beside him, and she was repeatedly hitting him with her fist in the waist area. Lindsay was arrested the next day when he returned to the rooming house and charged with second-degree murder.

Lindsay said he did not see a weapon in Bruce's hand and denied using a knife or other sharp object when he fought with Turner.

Earlier, Winnipeg Police Service Const. Curtis Benzick said he and his partner were called to the North Point Douglas rooming house as a result of an anonymous 911 call just before 9:30 p.m. They found Lindsay dead in the basement, lying in a pool of blood.

Medical examiner Dr. John Younes testified Wednesday Turner likely bled to death within five to 30 minutes after receiving the fatal stab wound.

Younes, who performed the autopsy, said Turner's blood-alcohol level was .253. He said Turner had been a chronic alcohol abuser.

Younes said Turner's body was covered with bruises and scars and he had several old scars. Younes concluded Turner had led "a rough-and-tumble life."

Younes said there were no signs on Turner's body that he had been beaten with a long, wooden stick or that a chain had been wrapped around his neck or any other part of his body.

Bensick said the rooming house was part of the Main Street Project, an organization that helps individuals with addiction issues.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 23, 2013 A9

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Key of Bart - Cali For Jets Nation

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A gosling stares near water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 060710 The full moon rises above the prairie south of Winnipeg Monday evening.

View More Gallery Photos


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google