Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Baby Hudson is No. 1
Couple's second son named New Year's child
Being first is a Girardin family tradition.
At 12:40 a.m. Tuesday, Hudson Girardin became the first baby born in Winnipeg in 2013, following in the footsteps of his grandpa and aunt, who were also born on Jan. 1.
Desiree Girardin, 27, said doctors figured she would give birth sometime around Jan. 3 or Jan. 9 but her water broke unexpectedly on New Year's Eve. She and her husband, Matthew, had initially planned to stay in and have dinner, but the couple went straight to the St. Boniface Hospital, where doctors eventually decided to perform a Caesarean section since Hudson was positioned sideways.
Hudson's older brother, Dallas, was born exactly 16 months ago on Sept. 1 via an emergency C-section and Matthew Girardin said doctors didn't want to take any chances this time around.
Desiree Girardin said doctors pulled Hudson out exactly one minute before another baby was born at the hospital at 12:41 a.m.
"He was the New Year's baby by one minute," she said, cradling her newborn son.
"She was pushing as he was getting pulled out. It was a matter of a minute between them."
Hudson was born 7 pounds, 15 ounces, and is the second child for the Girardins, who married two years ago. Desiree Girardin said the couple did not expect Hudson would be the family's third-generation New Year's baby, and are excited -- and in shock -- by all the attention.
About 16,000 babies are born in Manitoba every year. Statistics Canada figures show 16,483 babies were born from April 2011 to April 2012.
"We weren't expecting it to happen the way it did," Desiree Girardin said.
The attention didn't seem to faze young Hudson, who slept most of the day and only made a few "odd squeaks" here and there. Desiree Girardin said the newborn only woke up to eat and she suspects he'll be just like his parents and his older brother -- laid back and easygoing.
Desiree works for Trailblazers Life Choices, a non-profit organization that works with adults who have disabilities, and Matthew, 30, is an electrician. The Girardins said they'll have their hands full but they're still planning to have baby No. 3.
"We'll wait for this guy to get bigger first, but I think one more. We'll shoot for a girl for the third one," Desiree Girardin said.
Going back to our archives we present you with almost every New Year's baby since 1977 in Winnipeg.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 1, 2013 B1
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)12/24/2014 1:41 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Break-in on top of her grieving
- No charges laid in fatal collision
- RCMP charge more than dozen impaired drivers
- For some First Nations people, like Tina Fontaine’s family, grieving is part of the yuletide season
- Other alleged victims for therapist charged with assault
- Man, 45, missing since Monday
- Chance of snow today, Thursday
- RCMP officer faces drug and weapons charges
- Guests welcomed with open arms at Christmas Feast in the West End
- Santa, sleigh on course: NORAD
- MTS says services have been restored
- Winnipeg trucker dies in semi-truck collision
- New Transcona Boulevard offically opens today
- Nepinak wants Kelvin teacher fired
- Remains may be decade old
- Oswald officially enters NDP leadership race; promises an "alternative vision"
- Infant remains in locker may be decade old: Brodsky
- Criminal probe into HQ project
- Police seek driver after pickup truck hits pedestrian
- No charges laid against man who killed teen mugger
- Slain man leaves behind nine children
- 'Bannock Lady' faces $3,000 in tickets; vehicle seized
- Trucking firm in mourning after driver killed in crash
- Teacher pulled from classroom
- 'Fun party for two' ends in tragedy
- Photos released of suspects in coat heist
- RCMP investigate allegations of doctored invoices, improper payment
- Semi driver dies in collision at Lagimodiere, Dugald
- Twelve arrested, including former city council candidate; weapons and drugs
- Keep car windows clear or face fine: police
Ads by Google