Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/5/2013 (1457 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MANITOBA Health confirmed Wednesday the province opened a critical-incident investigation into the case of a two-year-old boy from Brandon left brain-damaged when a STARS ambulance flight ended in tragedy.
"This is being handled as a critical incident," Manitoba Health spokesman Glen Cassie said. "It was reported as such and it is being investigated as such."
Morgan Moar-Campbell was flown to Winnipeg aboard a STARS helicopter ambulance May 2 for tests following a seizure.
Doctors at the Brandon Regional Health Centre put Morgan into an induced coma, which meant he couldn't breathe on his own, requiring the insertion of a breathing tube.
That tube was discovered pulled out after the helicopter landed in Winnipeg.
He was taken to Children's Hospital and admitted to the ICU.
Last week, he was removed from life-support and he has been breathing on his own.
The parents were told their son was deprived of oxygen for 30 minutes and the only part of his brain still working is the brain stem, which regulates basic functions like breathing.
"Manitoba Health is leading the... investigation because it involves a number of organizations, including two different RHAs (regional health authorities) and STARS," Cassie said.
"Manitoba Health has received a report on the incident from STARS and the matter is still open and under investigation."
Since the tragedy over three weeks ago, parents Emily Moar and Blair Campbell have held a bedside vigil over their boy. They celebrated his second birthday on May 21 while he lay in a coma in the ICU.
Brandon doctors put Morgan into a coma and used STARS because he was born with thyroid hormone deficiency, which put him at risk for seizures, the dad said.
He was sent to Winnipeg for additional tests, Campbell said.
"He hadn't had one before. This was the first time," the dad said.
STARS has turned over its findings to the province and will continue to do so, a spokesman confirmed.
On Tuesday, STARS medical director Doug Martin issued a statement his agency was conducting a review.
Wednesday he repeated the assurance to other media.