Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Brandon gets cash for dike system

Province contributes $781,000 toward work

  • Print

SEVERAL hundred thousand dollars in provincial funding will mean Brandon won't have its "back against the wall" during a potentially disastrous spring flood, Mayor Shari Decter Hirst says.

The province has contributed $781,000 toward the $1.86-million buildup of the city's permanent dike system to prepare for what flood forecasters believe could be Assiniboine River levels of at least 1.9 feet above one-in-100-year water levels.

The work will deplete Brandon's $1.075-million flood-reserve fund and would have meant a 30 per cent reduction in this year's budgeted contribution to the city's capital development, machinery and equipment, office equipment and parks and recreation centre reserves in order to make up the $785,000 shortfall.

However, with the province now coming to the table, Decter Hirst said that cash can be either placed into the four reserves as previously budgeted or, if the worst of the worst unfolds, made available for emergency evacuations or other responses.

"Before the province came to the table, we were tapped," she said. "If something dramatic happened -- the dike failed and we had to evacuate residents -- we would have been in a real tough jam. This now gives us the ability that we're going to be comfortable, that we're going to be able to respond should anything unforeseen occur."

"Brandon had a particular situation where there's been a lot of development over the last decade in a low-lying part of the community," Premier Greg Selinger said of Brandon's dike work.

"It was very obvious to the new mayor and her council that we needed to take quick action -- and they have.

"This community has been right there from Day 1, making sure that they are ready and we want to be there with them," he said.

Brandon is the first municipality in the province to receive funding for its flood-prevention efforts, Selinger noted.

But with a total of $25 million set aside for the province's flooding event, the premier said he fully expects other municipalities to come forward in the coming weeks with their own requests for flood protection funding.

"We will definitely consider other proposals," he said.

The province has also provided a $35,000 sandbagging machine for the city of Brandon and outlying communities to aid in emergency sandbagging efforts.

With 12 chutes that propel sand into waiting bags, the made-in-Manitoba machine can produce 35,000 sandbags in an eight-hour shift.

 

-- Brandon Sun

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 4, 2011 A11

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Mayor Bowman reacts to Caspian investigation

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.
  • Bright sunflowers lift their heads toward the south east skies in a  large sunflower field on Hwy 206 and #1 Thursday Standup photo. July 31,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Will you watch The Interview?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google