Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Brother also considered mission to Mars

Admires his sister's 'exploratory spirit'

  • Print

BRANDON -- Despite the worry a one-way trip to Mars "would be a death sentence," the brother of a Winnipeg woman who is hoping to get to the red planet says he thought about applying himself for the journey.

The only Manitoban in the running to receive a one-way ticket to Mars will be leaving behind her brother in Brandon.

Julie Perreault, 31, of Ste. Geneviève just outside of Winnipeg, is one of the 1,058 applicants -- including 75 Canadians -- to be chosen by the Mars One project committee, which has the audacious goal of establishing a colony on the red planet by 2025.

"There's is a sense that leaving today for Mars would be a death sentence in a way," said her brother, Maurice Perreault, "but they have a decade of training ahead of them."

c_

While he said there is a slight lingering feeling the project is an "elaborate con," he even flirted with the idea of applying himself when Julie made the announcement she was applying.

When Julie made the declaration to her family, Maurice said he wasn't at all surprised. Spelunking, exploring and "experiencing new things" were all interests she included in her application.

"She's always had an exploratory spirit," Maurice said. "If she's one of the ones who are chosen, she's doing something she really wants to do and I'll be proud of her."

Julie will be giving up earth's outdoor environment she has grown to love to explore, Maurice added.

"When she puts her suit on for launch, that might be the last time she feels natural wind on her skin," he said, since the Mars-bound humans will be isolated in a man-made habitat.

After the committee made its latest cuts, Maurice said he brought up some concerns of his own, one of which being if Julie has children in the next 10 years prior to the tentative launch date, she will be abandoning them.

He said the Mars One project would discourage people from having children on Mars during the beginning period of settling on the red planet to avoid any additional complications to the small community.

Perreault, a self-confessed "lifelong" science fiction fan, submitted her online application to the committee last year. She received confirmation she was one of the chosen few on Dec. 30.

Mars One is being described as a "one-way mission," although it will include an infrastructure that includes living quarters, communications systems to Earth and a water supply.

Mars One is a non-profit organization based in the Netherlands which received more than 200,000 applications for the journey, including 8,243 from Canada. The Canadian applicants accepted include 43 women and 32 men.

The plan is for a crew of four to depart every two years starting in 2024, with the first group arriving in 2025.

The next step for applicants is to acquire medical, physical and mental clearances.

-- Brandon Sun

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 20, 2014 B2

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

In the Key of Bart: Can’t It Be Nice This Time?

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A young goose gobbles up grass at Fort Whyte Alive Monday morning- Young goslings are starting to show the markings of a adult geese-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 20– June 11, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Now that the snow is mostly gone, what are your plans?

View Results

Ads by Google