Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 04/9/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 04/9/2013 10:21 AM | Updates
THE city may claw back a portion of its funding to the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ if they cannot reach a financial agreement over the police cadet patrols in the city's downtown.
Last July, Winnipeg police cadets assumed responsibility of the Downtown BIZ's community-outreach patrol program. The BIZ patrols started in 2006 and picked up 3,000 people a year, taking people who are passed out or intoxicated to their homes or safe places such as the Main Street Project.
Protection and community services chairman Coun. Scott Fielding (St. James-Brooklands) said the Downtown BIZ made a public commitment of $100,000 a year when the city decided police cadets would take over the program. While the organization paid the sum for 2012 and the first quarter of 2013, Fielding said, the Downtown BIZ has not paid for the second quarter of 2013 or signed a formal funding agreement with the city.
Fielding said the city does not plan to pull the cadets out of the downtown, and he's hopeful the BIZ will fulfil its obligation. If not, he said the city will examine its options -- which may include withholding a portion of the city's annual contribution to the Downtown BIZ to cover its $100,000 share of the program costs.
Council's protection and community services committee laid the matter over for one month.
"We might not have made the decisions we made a year ago if we knew the funding commitment wouldn't be there," Fielding said Monday.
Downtown BIZ executive director Stefano Grande said the BIZ is still trying to negotiate an agreement and recently sent a letter to the city on behalf of its board. Grande said the current agreement proposed by the city is not in the best interest of the BIZ and its members as the city wants an annual grant of $100,000 in perpetuity with no contract end date or conditions.
He said the board can't in good conscious commit to an agreement that is "forever." Grande said they will continue to negotiate in good faith.
"We value the city as a partner," he said.
The funding spat comes on the heels of a report that shows violent crime in the downtown and North End dropped last year following a plan to increase police presence in high-risk areas.
Last week, Winnipeg police released an administrative report that shows the Portage Avenue districts -- which include the area around the University of Winnipeg, Portage Place, the sports and entertainment district and commercial areas around Portage and Main -- saw a 14.5 per cent reduction in the number of violent crimes, which includes assaults, sexual assaults, homicides and robberies, between March and December 2012.
The North End police district, which includes an area bounded by McGregor Street to the west, Dufferin Avenue to the south, Salter Street to the east and Burrows Avenue to the north, saw an 18.9 per cent drop in violent crime during the same time period.
Winnipeg police Staff Sgt. Max Waddell said police are cautiously optimistic about the initial results of their violent-crime-reduction strategy, which was rolled out in March 2012 and includes a plan to beef up police presence in the downtown and parts of the North End. While downtown is not crime-free, Waddell said police are using resources such as the police cadets to make sure people feel safer when they visit Winnipeg's downtown.
"We are happy with the progress but we have a lot of work to do yet," Waddell said.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 9, 2013 B1
Updated on Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM CDT: replaces photo
10:21 AM: adds BIZ info
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Road rage leaves man dead
Pole-top fire causes power outages in East Kildonan, West Kildonan
New tests clean, but boil-water advisory still in effect for Winnipeg
Victim, accused named in Peguis First Nation child death
Council approves free bin replacements
Committee to interview city CAO candidates as council decides Deepak Joshi's fate
Two separate charges in death: Winnipeg man assaulted, then run over
City's budgets to be made available to public in early March
Corus Entertainment lays off five Winnipeg radio personalities
National university teacher association lashes out at U of M's economics department
Two police-board appointments not renewed
PUB nixes Hydro rate increase
Boil water first, city advises
Mike McEwen chosen as top seed for men's curling championship in Brandon
Police breached youth's rights, judge rules
Council approves Convention Centre's $3.75 million settlement with Stuart Olson
Protesters rally against cuts
Man arrested after marijuana grow-op found at Pritchard Avenue home
Changes coming, but not soon
Repairs for west Winnipeg ACCESS centre could cost $5M
Bottled-water sales boom, restaurants close as city faces 2nd day of boil-water advisory
Busy day ahead for city hall
Oswald turns attention to workplace safety
MPI encouraging drivers to slow down
Disaster costs to triple after formula change
Centres want hike equal to child benefit
Vague-sounding options don’t foster optimism
Shoppers stock up on water
Chiefs tone down angry stance
Three years for deadly drug dosage
Police seek suspect in abduction attempt
Salting trucks to hit slippery city streets
WAA inflexibility curbs city's livability goals
What to do during a boil-water advisory
Ashton the one to beat
City awaits test results to see whether drinking water is safe
Freezing temperatures, drizzle, make for slippery conditions today
Ambulance delays cost WRHA $1.4 million
Oswald makes campaign pledge to boost workplace health and safety enforcement
Changes coming, but not soon