Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Cat came back: 14 years later

Tattoo helps return wayward orange tabby to its family

  • Print

The cat came back. They thought it was a goner.The cat came back the very next... Well, not exactly.

Fourteen years ago, the Kerger family's three-year-old orange tabby wandered away from their Lockport-area house.

Last week, she arrived at their new home in Winnipeg.

It's hard to know how many lives Tiger Lily used up during this meow miracle.

"We thought a fox got her," Ingrid Kerger said Monday. "She just disappeared. We put up posters but she was never returned."

The cat spent time both indoors and out. She was a wanderer, says Kerger.

The cat liked to cuddle with Mark and Richard, Kerger's now-adult sons. She's got a picture of eight-year-old Richard sleeping with his face next to Tiger Lily's.

The family has no idea how the cat spent her 14 years on the lam.

"If only she could talk, what a story," laughs Kerger.

She marked the day of the cat's disappearance (Oct. 12, 1996) in her Bible.

Tiger Lily didn't track the Kergers down on her own. She had considerable help.

Ingrid Kerger made sure her cat was spayed and had an ear tattoo. The puss was essentially carrying ID.

That didn't help her get reunited with her family, not in 1996 and not after they moved to Winnipeg. The happy ending required the kindness of strangers.

Last week, Kerger got a call from the Oakbank Animal Hospital. They wanted to know if she'd ever lived in Lockport. A staff member had found an elderly tabby and checked her tattoo. That led them to Kerger's old address.

They then tracked her down in Winnipeg.

"I was just in shock when they called."

She sent her 23-year-old son, Richard, to claim Tiger Lily. He carried a picture of boy and cat taken when he was eight.

"My sons were just incredulous."

The clinic rescued Tiger Lily, gave her IV therapy for dehydration and took care of her until the family could be found.

She was thin and smelled of diesel fuel. The clinic gave her a bed and started feeding her.

They didn't charge for their services.

Since she's been home, Tiger Lily is eating everything in sight.

Kerger said a Good Samaritan may have accidentally moved the cat away from its home.

"Sometimes people will pick up a stray and drive it somewhere else. They don't have any idea where they are. If I'm putting up posters in Lockport and she's somewhere else we'll never be reunited."

Kerger credits Tiger Lily's survival to the fact she was spayed.

"Imagine if she'd been out there all this time having litter after litter. She wouldn't have lasted."

She's pretty sure the cat knows she's back with family.

"I'd like to think she does. The very first night (back with the family) she did sleep with Richard."

Tiger Lily knew she had a good thing going when she first lived with the family.

"She was a real favourite. In the country, strays come and go. She would want to sleep with the boys and so she was nice."

Tiger Lily might be the star attraction but she's not the only pet in the house. Kerger's got two other cats, one 18 and the other 15, as well as an aging diabetic dog.

But this is one special, well-travelled tabby.

Why? Because the cat came back. It just couldn't stay away.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 2, 2010 B1

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets fan gets inked

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A mother goose has chosen a rather busy spot to nest her eggs- in the parking lot of St Vital Centre on a boulevard. Countless cars buzz by and people have begun to bring it food.-Goose Challenge Day 06 - May 08, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Hay bales sit under a rainbow just west of Winnipeg Saturday, September 3, 2011.(John Woods/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

About Lindor Reynolds

National Newspaper Award winner Lindor Reynolds began work at the Free Press as a 17-year-old proofreader. It was a rough introduction to the news business.

Many years later, armed with a university education and a portfolio of published work, she was hired as a Free Press columnist. During her 20-plus years on the job she wrote for every section in the paper, with the exception of Business -- though she joked she'd get around to them some day.

Sadly, that day will never come. Lindor died in October 2014 after a 15-month battle with brain cancer.

Lindor received considerable recognition for her writing. Her awards include the Will Rogers Humanitarian Award, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists’ general interest award and the North American Travel Journalists Association top prize.

Her work on Internet luring led to an amendment to the Criminal Code of Canada and her coverage of the child welfare system prompted a change to Manitoba Child and Family Services Act to make the safety of children paramount.

She earned three citations of merit for the Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service in Journalism and was awarded a Distinguished Alumni commendation from the University of Winnipeg. Lindor was also named a YMCA/YWCA  Woman of Distinction.

Reynolds was 56. She is survived by a husband, mother, a daughter and son-in-law and three stepdaughters.

The Free Press has published an ebook celebrating the best of Lindor's work. It's available in the Winnipeg Free Press Store; all proceeds will be donated through our Miracle on Mountain charity to the Christmas Cheer Board.


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google