Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/3/2014 (995 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Was it a tragic accident or something more sinister?
That's the challenge for Winnipeg police and local justice officials involved in an unusual suspicious death investigation that began earlier this week and could drag on for some time.
Sources told the Free Press the case involves a young woman who was found restrained in some fashion inside a residence in the 200 block of Balmoral Street. To date, police have not released any details about the victim other than to identify her as an adult female who was discovered dead just after 8 a.m. Monday.
Police said Thursday they are awaiting autopsy results to confirm cause of death and provide other clues about what may have occurred. Toxicology results may also prove to be key.
However, court documents show police have already made an arrest as part of the ongoing probe.
Shane Quon, 43, has been charged with forcible confinement. He has been detained in custody and has not applied for bail. His next court appearance is slated for this morning.
The victim of the alleged forcible confinement is identified in court documents as a 23-year-old Winnipeg woman. The charge only indicates that she was confined on March 16, and that Quon was arrested March 17. No other details, such as the nature of the alleged confinement or what happened to the woman, are included.
Sources told the Free Press the alleged victim of the confinement is the same woman found dead by police. Several family members did not return messages seeking comment on Thursday.
Sources said this case will likely be reviewed by senior justice officials -- once all evidence is gathered -- to determine whether additional charges will be laid.
Quon is also accused of violating an existing probation order stemming from several previous brushes with the law.
None of the allegations has been proven and he is presumed innocent.