Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

City won't quibble on thawing

Won't charge to treat pipes on private property

  • Print

A rapid increase in the number of frozen waterlines has prompted city hall to pay the cost of thawing all of them -- even those on private property.

The dramatic shift in policy was made the middle of last week to eliminate a seven-day delay before homeowners could book an appointment to get a temporary water connection, said Randy Hull, the city's emergency preparedness co-ordinator.

"We are assuming all the calls are frozen (city) lines," Hull said.

The city will now absorb the $305 cost it had been assessing private property owners if city crews found the freeze was on private property, Hull said.

Mayor Sam Katz said the policy change is not retroactive, so any property owner who received a $305 bill before last week will still have to pay it.

Katz and Hull met with reporters Monday while other members of council were briefed by the administration.

The number of waterline freezes continues to increase despite a weekend blitz by firefighters going door to door delivering notices to 3,900 residents to keep a tap running 24 hours a day.

The number of affected properties stood at 927 Monday, up from 868 properties on Sunday.

The number of properties receiving temporary water service via a connection from a neighbour also increased to 217 Monday, up from 173 on Sunday.

However, the situation hasn't reached a point where a majority of councillors is seriously considering special measures, including offering to lodge some long-suffering households in hotels.

Coun. Paula Havixbeck, who wanted a special meeting of council last week, said a majority of councillors are satisfied with how the administration is dealing with the problem, adding she remains concerned about people still without water.

"We still have more than 700 properties without water service of any kind," Havixbeck (Charleswood-Tuxedo) said. "We should be at least offering them the opportunity to stay in a hotel."

Katz said he toured some affected homes across the city Sunday and found most people want to stay put.

Earlier Monday, Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) said he also opposed housing families in hotels, adding all efforts should be concentrated on restoring water service and keeping families in their homes.

Coun. Harvey Smith said he was pleased with the change in pipe-thawing policy, adding it allows city workers to promptly deal with restoring water service rather than dither about the property owner's responsibility.

Smith (Daniel McIntyre) said that in addition to the hand-delivered notices to properties in affected areas, the city will launch a radio campaign to notify homeowners about the need to leave a cold-water tap running.

Smith and Havixbeck said although the city is doing the best it can with the problem, the administration did not deal with how to prevent it in the future.

Hull said he suspects the increase in the number of affected properties from Sunday to Monday was the result of businesses in the at-risk areas being closed Sunday and not having staff present to receive the notices firefighters delivered.

He said he expects the number of newly affected properties will soon peak and begin decreasing as property owners follow the city's advice and begin leaving a tap running 24/7.

The city now believes a total of 5,000 properties are at risk of losing water service in parts of River Heights, Fort Rouge and the North End. Those properties received hand-delivered notices on the weekend advising the owners to leave a single cold-water tap running a stream the diameter of a pencil, around the clock.

The pipe freeze-ups have been blamed on the long, frigid winter, which has seen the frost penetrate deeper into the ground where the waterlines are buried. Even as the weather warms, the frost remains in the ground and incidents of waterline freezes are expected to occur late in April and into May and possibly June.

Hull said there is no need to declare a state of emergency, adding that would only be done if the city had exhausted all its resources and was unable to continue, which hasn't happened yet.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 11, 2014 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Your top TV picks for this weekend - Aug 29 - Sept 1

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • STDUP ‚Äì Beautiful West End  begins it's summer of bloom with boulevard s, front yards  and even back lane gardens ,  coming alive with flowers , daisies and poppies  dress up a backyard lane on Camden St near Wolseley Ave  KEN GIGLIOTTI  / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS  /  June 26 2012
  • A female Mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim through the reflections in the Assiniboine River at The Forks Monday.     (WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Winnipeg Free Press  June 18 2012

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should panhandling at intersections be banned?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google