Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Rapist likely to be deported
A recent Canadian immigrant is facing a lengthy prison sentence followed by an immediate one-way ticket back home after being convicted of raping a female friend.
Manasse Manzila was found guilty Monday of several charges including sexual assault with a weapon and forcible confinement for the February 2013 attack in Winnipeg.
Queen's Bench Justice Vic Toews rejected Manzila's claims of innocence. The accused had testified in his own defence at trial, claiming any sex that night was consensual.
"I have serious doubts about the credibility of the accused's evidence," Toews ruled.
Manzila had recently come to Canada as a refugee, fleeing war-torn Africa with the hopes of getting a fresh start. He will likely be deported after serving his sentence, which will be determined at a hearing later this year.
Manzila met the victim through a local government program for new immigrants. The woman has also fled from a different refugee camp in Africa, court was told.
The pair struck up a relationship which had been on-again, off-again prior to the attack. But Manzila continued to see her, despite an existing court order that only allowed contact if the woman consented to it.
On the night of the incident, she returned home from work where Manzila was waiting. She described how he forced her into the bedroom, tied her up with restraints and then raped her while choking her. He also assaulted her with a small wooden object and a broomstick, court was told.
She called 911 after fleeing the residence and was treated at hospital for injuries.
"She did not consent to have sex with the accused," Toews said in reading his verdict.
Killers won't cut gang ties
TWO young killers are set to be released from prison next week -- a move justice officials warn could lead to increased hostilities among Winnipeg gang.
The men, who can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, previously admitted to the September 2009 killing of 17-year-old Frank Green Jr. His body was found at the St. Boniface Cemetery.
Both were given youth sentences of three years in jail followed by four years of community supervision, at a 2011 hearing.
Now 21 and 22, their custody is about to expire. They returned to court Monday for a judge to set conditions on their pending release.
Crown attorney Lisa Carson revealed both men appear unwilling to sever the gang ties that got them into trouble in the first place.
"More recently there has been significant involvement in gang activity (behind bars)," Carson said.
That prompted Queen's Bench Justice Chris Martin to order they both have no contact with any current or previous gang associates once they are released. Any breaches will have them automatically re-arrested and brought back into court.
"Fellas, you're getting near the end of the road here. Don't blow it," Martin warned them Monday. He told the men getting re-involved with gang activity is a sure-fire way to go back to prison.
"I hope you've learned a lesson. This is a vicious crime you've been involved with," Martin said.
Three other teens admitted their roles in the killing, but have not yet reached the end of their sentences. The five killers chased Green into the cemetery and attacked him with knives, a machete and a collapsible baton.
An autopsy showed eight of the nine stab wounds were in Green's back. He also endured 41 blows from being kicked or punched. His killing was part of ongoing tension within rival Winnipeg gangs and led to numerous acts of violent retaliation, court was told.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 19, 2014 B4
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 31 articles for today)3:46 PM
Justice officials are seeking an eight-year prison sentence for a Winnipeg man who used hidden spy cameras to secretly record ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Parole officials impressed with progress made by Winnipeg killer
- Toews' lobbying to be probed
- 8-year sentence sought for Winnipeg man who set up bathroom spy-cams
- MTS inadvertently filters internet customers' traffic
- RCMP quiet on large police presence at Canadadrugs.com offices
- Teen fighting back against alleged bullying with lawsuit
- Wanted: info on trains blocking traffic
- Man sentenced to 16 years for sexually abusing his five children
- Firms shortlisted for $590 million transitway and Pembina underpass project
- Death of Stony inmate investigated
- Significant snowfall likely for southern Manitoba
- Developer giving up on 110-year-old Sargent Avenue building after battle with city
- Boy, 11, injured after falling about 4.5 metres from ski lift at Asessippi
- Man facing impaired driving charge after fatal ATV crash says he had alcohol after the crash
- MTS inadvertently filters internet customers' traffic
- Mom wants ski trips reviewed
- Brothers headed to prison after attacking their mother's dealer
- Semi-trailer falls into Assiniboine River
- Saskatchewan teen killed in crash in Manitoba
- Poor conditions slow drive into Winnipeg; some vehicles off road
- Family shattered by loss of four young sons
- Pilot Mound teen dies after skiing accident
- Two in hospital after car crashes into restaurant
- Forgiving the unthinkable
- Selinger wins on second ballot at NDP leadership convention
- Property tax increase capped, but frontage levies, garbage fees to increase
- Before meeting with mayor, Chipman wants written response
- Judge doesn't buy tale of biker's bounty
- Boy who gave up Jets stick gets surprise gift
- Protected witness wonders if big payday was worth hassle
Ads by Google