Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Dad cleared after leaving disabled son alone

  • Print

A Winnipeg father has been cleared of any legal wrongdoing for leaving his severely disabled eight-year-old son home alone in the middle of the night while he staggered through the neighbourhood drunk.

The 30-year-old man, who can't be named to protect the identity of the child, walked free Monday after a judge found there was insufficient evidence to prove the charge of failing to provide the necessities of life.

Provincial court Judge Kelly Moar admitted he "won't be handing out an award" to the father, but said there is a big difference between bad parenting and criminal conduct.

Moar said case law is clear the act of leaving a child alone doesn't automatically warrant a conviction. He said an absence of other damning evidence, such as an injury to the child, was a big factor in his verdict.

The July 2012 incident began when police spotted the man stumbling down Sargent Avenue around 4 a.m. with his four-year-old daughter in tow. Officers stopped to question him and he became aggressive toward them, court was told.

The man eventually spit at officers, then put up a struggle as they tried to arrest him. Police eventually handcuffed him, all while the little girl looked on. She then asked police if "we're going to go get my brother now?" Officers weren't sure what she meant, so they questioned the accused about whether he had other children in his care.

But the single father of six lied to police, saying his other kids were all in the care of other adults outside the home that night.

The police didn't believe him and went to his nearby apartment, where they found the young boy alone. He was seated in his bed, wearing a diaper filled with feces, court was told, but he was otherwise in good health.

Crown attorney Adam Bergen argued Monday the accused should be found guilty because he clearly abandoned his role as a responsible parent when he tried to mislead the officers. He said the special-needs child has serious medical issues, including epilepsy, and isn't able to feed himself or even get water without assistance.

"He makes up this very detailed story about the child being with someone else. This is a child who needs a lot more than the ordinary eight-year-old needs in terms of attention, supervision and care," Bergen said. "What he does is attempt to prevent the police from finding (the son). He was compromising the health or welfare of his child."

In that sense, Bergen argued this was a unique case where the charge was met more by what the father didn't do -- tell the truth -- than by simply leaving his son alone. The Crown admitted they can't prove the boy was left for more than a few minutes, as the father claims.

"There was not a potential to endanger (the son's) life here," defence lawyer Rod Brecht told court. Brecht filed a "no-evidence" motion once the Crown closed its case, and Moar ruled in his favour.

Brecht said his client had been drinking heavily with a cousin the previous evening and passed out. His daughter awoke him just before 4 a.m., asking to watch movies. The father decided he'd walk to his mother-in-law's nearby residence to see if she could care for the girl so he could go back to sleep.

But there was no answer at the door, so the father was returning home when the police stopped him. Brecht admits his client has battled alcohol addiction for many years, and it got the best of him that night and led to the altercation with police.

The accused did plead guilty Monday to a charge of assaulting a police officer and breaching a previous court order to abstain from alcohol. He was given time in custody and probation, as he's spent the past 11 months behind bars without bail.

Child and Family Services has taken custody of the children, court was told.

www.mikeoncrime.com

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 17, 2013 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Jim Flaherty remembered at visitation as irreplaceable

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Someone or thing is taking advantage of the inactivity at Kapyong Barracks,hundreds of Canada Geese-See Joe Bryksa’s goose a day for 30 days challenge- Day 15- May 22, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • June 25, 2013 - 130625  -  A storm lit up Winnipeg Tuesday, June 25, 2013. John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press - lightning

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google