May 25, 2017


15° C, Light rain showers

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Despite tot's fractures, 'no one followed it up'

Cameron, 13 months, sent back to foster home, died

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/1/2009 (3057 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Cameron Ouskan, the 13-month-old boy who died after being rushed to hospital from Gillam in November, was removed once from his foster home by CFS authorities but returned a month later, according to sources close to the case.

When he was removed from the foster home in September, he had a bite mark on his cheek and "flaccid" legs, possibly as the result of healing fractures.

He was also, the source says, terrified of men.

Inexplicably, after a month of respite with another foster family, he was sent back to the home of Rod and Brenda Blacksmith.

He died there two weeks later.

"When the RCMP did their first investigation, they did clear the foster parents," says Marie Lands, CEO of the Northern Manitoba CFS Authority.

"As to why the child was returned to the home, that is the reason."

But Manitoba chief medical examiner Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra has said the child had multiple fractures in various stages of healing at the time of his death.

"It looks like everyone dropped the case," Balachandra said. "The child had fractures and no one followed it up."

RCMP spokeswoman Line Karpish says the child's death is still under investigation as a possible homicide.

Rod Blacksmith, reached at his Gillam home, said he was under orders not to discuss any aspect of the case, offer any memories of Cameron or comment on whether the RCMP consider him a suspect.

"I can't say anything right now," he said. "Maybe later I'll have a lot to say."

Initial reports depicted the Blacksmiths as loving foster parents and a devoted mom and dad to their four biological daughters.

But something dark definitely happened to little Cameron. If Balachandra is right -- and he's the expert -- someone may have abused the child over a period of time.

Cameron was a ward of the Awasis CFS agency, an organization that deals with the northern communities of Shamattawa, Cross Lake, Nelson Lake, Gods Lake Narrows, Gods Lake, Oxford House, Fox Lake and War Lake. They have 593 kids under their watch.

Since 2006, at least three Awasis children have died in care.

Most recently, Rephanniah Redhead, 14, took her own life in September 2008 after being taken from Shamattawa to Winnipeg about a year earlier for medical care.

Her death was followed by five-year-old Farron Miles, who drowned about two kilometres from his foster home at Cross Lake First Nation.

Marie Lands said Thursday that she's waiting for mandatory reviews into Cameron's death to be completed.

She could not say whether any staff members have been disciplined or suspended in the aftermath of the baby's death.

"Right now, we're just catching up on everything after the holidays," she said. "The staff at Awasis, we haven't been able to talk to David (Monias, the Awasis executive director) yet."

Cameron's death has parallels to that of two-year-old Gage Guimond, killed in 2007 while in CFS care.

He had been taken from a loving foster home and returned to family members. His parents and grandmother were unable or unwilling to look after him.

Gage was eventually placed with a distant relative. She's charged with his murder.

CFS knew all the way through that they were returning the child to a family rife with alcoholism and drug use, a situation where the child's medical needs were routinely ignored.

In this case, the desire to return a child to his cultural roots superseded his safety.

In Cameron's case, however, both sets of foster parents and the child were of First Nations ancestry.

CFS had reason to take Cameron from the home of Rod and Brenda Blacksmith. They felt they had reason to return him.

So how did the wee one end up dead?


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more