Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/1/2016 (458 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The historic home that went up in flames in Glenboro last weekend was not insured, the town's fire chief said Thursday.
Steve Bjornson, who co-ordinated about three dozen firefighters from four departments in the response Saturday evening, said a cause hasn't been confirmed, but the fire started in the basement, where there was a wood-fired furnace.
He said it's uncommon for such historic structures to be uninsured.
"It had been until 2013, but the last couple years or so, there hasn't been any insurance on stuff," he said.
The home, believed to be built around 1900, has served as the town's hospital and a senior citizens home for periods of time before being reverted to a private residence.
One person who was in the home at the time escaped the fire without injuries.
The house shares a block with the current Glenboro hospital, a personal care home and, metres north of the fire, a 10-suite seniors housing facility called Glen Haven Manor.
It will be up to the home's owners to fence off the property and start the cleanup.
-- Brandon Sun