Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Family homeless after fire breaks out

  • Print

MEMBERS of three families were forced to flee after a fire broke out in a home in Lorette Saturday evening.

RM of Taché fire Chief Peter Skjaerlund said Sunday six people were able to safely get out of a house before the blaze gutted the building on Saturday at about 7 p.m. He said four dogs and a cat also got out, but a fifth dog was rescued and treated by firefighters after they found the animal inside once the fire was put out.

"There was a mother, father and two children -- the kids are 16 and 20 -- and each had a friend with them," Skjaerlund said. "They all got out safely... We put a pet oxygen mask on the dog and 20 minutes later the dog was doing great."

Skjaerlund said the fire started in an electrical outlet in the attached garage and spread to the house.

"They had just finished their Easter dinner and the kids went to the basement and the father went into the den to watch hockey.

"The mother went to do the dinner dishes, and she saw the fire and told everyone to get out."

Skjaerlund said he believes the house is a total loss.

Lorette is 25 kilometres southeast of Winnipeg.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 21, 2014 B7

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Weather standup. Sundog. Refraction of light through ice crystals which caused both the sun dog and and fog along McPhillips Road early Wednesday morning. 071205.
  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should political leaders be highly visible on the frontlines of flood fights and other natural disasters?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google