Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/4/2014 (1044 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MEMBERS of three families were forced to flee after a fire broke out in a home in Lorette Saturday evening.
RM of Taché fire Chief Peter Skjaerlund said Sunday six people were able to safely get out of a house before the blaze gutted the building on Saturday at about 7 p.m. He said four dogs and a cat also got out, but a fifth dog was rescued and treated by firefighters after they found the animal inside once the fire was put out.
"There was a mother, father and two children -- the kids are 16 and 20 -- and each had a friend with them," Skjaerlund said. "They all got out safely... We put a pet oxygen mask on the dog and 20 minutes later the dog was doing great."
Skjaerlund said the fire started in an electrical outlet in the attached garage and spread to the house.
"They had just finished their Easter dinner and the kids went to the basement and the father went into the den to watch hockey.
"The mother went to do the dinner dishes, and she saw the fire and told everyone to get out."
Skjaerlund said he believes the house is a total loss.
Lorette is 25 kilometres southeast of Winnipeg.